Escape sequence for accentuated characters?

Escape sequence for accentuated characters?

Raphael Manfredi
Hello,

Does anyone know of an escape sequence enabling the composition
of accentuated characters?  My system is a non-UTF8 system (ISO-latin-1)
and I don't have any way to type an UTF-8 character in my xterms.

I can type iso-latin-1, but apparently this is not understood by 2.6.3,
whereaas it worked correctly in 2.4.5.

So, what's the way to type pure ASCII accentuated letters in lilypond?

Raphael

Re: Escape sequence for accentuated characters?

Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Raphael Manfredi writes:

> My system is a non-UTF8 system (ISO-latin-1)

I do not believe that there is such a thing.  Just install a utf-8
aware editor, eg, any reasonably modern emacs, jedit or vim.

> I can type iso-latin-1

Then try the recode program

  recode latin1..utf8 foo.ly

> , but apparently this is not understood by 2.6.3,
> whereaas it worked correctly in 2.4.5.

or use convert-ly, that will recode for you.

> So, what's the way to type pure ASCII accentuated letters in lilypond?

That's not supported.  You'll have to find/write a recoding program
that translates into utf-8, if that's what you really want.

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

Re: Escape sequence for accentuated characters?

Raphael Manfredi
Quoting Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> from ml.lilypond.users:
:
:That's not supported.  You'll have to find/write a recoding program
:that translates into utf-8, if that's what you really want.

Something is wrong.

I managed to get the UTF-8 input right (via "recode"), but the text in the
PDF is not diplaying properly.  It's as if there was a "backspace" emitted
after the accentuated character, and there is some overwriting of the
letters that follow (they are shifted to the left by approximatively
1.5 characters).

If I emit the unaccentuated letter, everything is fine.

What's the problem?  I'm using 2.6.3.

Thanks,

Raphael Manfredi writes:

> Something is wrong.

Please attach a minimal, but full example of your .ly file.

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

Re: Escape sequence for accentuated characters?

Raphael Manfredi
Quoting Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> from ml.lilypond.users:
:Raphael Manfredi writes:
:
:> Something is wrong.
:
:Please attach a minimal, but full example of your .ly file.

Here it is.  The character I'm printing is "u`" in case there is
a problem with the encoding via mail.  The UTF-8 encoding is correct.

-------------------------------------
% UTF-8 character messes markup
% Output is fine without the font override, but then I get ugly courier
\version "2.6.3"
\new Staff {
        \clef treble \time 4/4
        \override TextScript #'font-name = "cmr10"
        \relative c'' {
                 a^\markup { piu mosso } b c d e^\markup { piĆ¹ mosso } f g f

Re: Escape sequence for accentuated characters?

Raphael Manfredi
And here is a PNG of the lilypond output on my system, in case you
cannot reproduce it.

Raphael

bug5.png (15K) Download Attachment

Re: Escape sequence for accentuated characters?

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Raphael Manfredi wrote:
> And here is a PNG of the lilypond output on my system, in case you
> cannot reproduce it.

There was a problem with fontchanges  in the middle of text strings,
which I fixed in 2.7.8.

However, I recommend you to use another font, which includes the
accented characters as separate glyphs, eg. ecrm10. With 2.7.8, you will
still get the sans-serif u` but with correct placement.

Raphael Manfredi writes:

> Here it is.  The character I'm printing is "u`" in case there is
> a problem with the encoding via mail.  The UTF-8 encoding is correct.

> \override TextScript #'font-name = "cmr10"

This may be a bug, the cmr font does not have the u` character,
possibly the metrics from the fallback font are not used.  But even if
the metrics were correct, it would look very ugly.

What happens when you use another font, one that does includes u`, say
the default?

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

Re: Escape sequence for accentuated characters?

Raphael Manfredi
Quoting Han-Wen Nienhuys <[hidden email]> from ml.lilypond.users:
:Raphael Manfredi wrote:
:> And here is a PNG of the lilypond output on my system, in case you
:> cannot reproduce it.
:
:There was a problem with fontchanges  in the middle of text strings,
:which I fixed in 2.7.8.
:
:However, I recommend you to use another font, which includes the
:accented characters as separate glyphs, eg. ecrm10. With 2.7.8, you will
:still get the sans-serif u` but with correct placement.

Yes, ecmr10 works fine, but it is a sans-serif font and it does not
look as good as cmr10.

Where does lilypond get its font list from, so that I can try others?
I gathered the name "cmr10" from a config file I saw, but I don't
know where to find an exhaustive list of the available fonts.

Raphael Manfredi wrote:

> Quoting Han-Wen Nienhuys <[hidden email]> from ml.lilypond.users:
> :Raphael Manfredi wrote:
> :> And here is a PNG of the lilypond output on my system, in case you
> :> cannot reproduce it.
> :
> :There was a problem with fontchanges  in the middle of text strings,
> :which I fixed in 2.7.8.
> :
> :However, I recommend you to use another font, which includes the
> :accented characters as separate glyphs, eg. ecrm10. With 2.7.8, you will
> :still get the sans-serif u` but with correct placement.
>
> Yes, ecmr10 works fine, but it is a sans-serif font and it does not
> look as good as cmr10.

no, it's not; what you're seeing is the system default for fonts that
are not found.

> Where does lilypond get its font list from, so that I can try others?

the easiest is to put a .ttf  .pfb  or .pfa in ~/.fonts. If it shows up
on the output of

        fc-list

you can use it in lily.

Re: Escape sequence for accentuated characters?

Christian Ebert
* Han-Wen Nienhuys on Tuesday, November 01, 2005:
> Raphael Manfredi wrote:
>> Where does lilypond get its font list from, so that I can try others?
>
> the easiest is to put a .ttf  .pfb  or .pfa in ~/.fonts. If it shows up
> on the output of
>
> fc-list
>
> you can use it in lily.

Well, I can *not* use it on MacOS 10.3.9:

$ fc-list Sabon
Sabon:style=RomanOsF
Sabon:style=BoldOsF
Sabon:style=ItalicOsF
Sabon:style=BoldItalicOsF

and I tried e.g

\override Score.BarNumber   #'font-name = #"Sabon-RomanOsF"

or

\override Score.BarNumber   #'font-name = #"Sabon RomanOsF"

or

\override Score.BarNumber   #'font-name = #"Sabon Roman Oldstyle Figures"

or (despair!)

\override Score.BarNumber   #'font-name = #"Sabon"

and it I still only get LuxiSans.

Apart from the fact that even if it worked any customized TeX
font metrics (for LyricTexT e.g) were gone.

So, again, for me a switch to lilypond >2.4.5 would mean

a) a loss of quality
b) a setup that's veeeery ;-) far from easier to use

_B A U S T E L L E N_ lesen!  --->> <http://www.blacktrash.org/baustellen.html>

RE: Escape sequence for accentuated characters?

Fairchild
Where does fc-list live?  How to use fc-list?  Version 2.4.6, Windows XP,
Cygwin.

Don't find fc-list in the 2.4.6 package.

                      - Bruce

=================
> Where does lilypond get its font list from, so that I can try others?

the easiest is to put a .ttf  .pfb  or .pfa in ~/.fonts. If it shows up
on the output of

        fc-list

you can use it in lily.

Re: Escape sequence for accentuated characters?

Daniel Johnson-2
Fairchild wrote:

>Where does fc-list live?  How to use fc-list?  Version 2.4.6, Windows XP,
>Cygwin.
>
>Don't find fc-list in the 2.4.6 package.
>
>                      - Bruce

I believe it's part of fontconfig.

RE: Escape sequence for accentuated characters?

Fairchild
Don't find fontconfig in 2.4.6.

>Where does fc-list live?  How to use fc-list?  Version 2.4.6, Windows
>XP, Cygwin.
>
>Don't find fc-list in the 2.4.6 package.
>
>                      - Bruce

I believe it's part of fontconfig.

Re: Escape sequence for accentuated characters?

Han-Wen Nienhuys

This doesn't apply to  the 2.4 series at all, since 2.4 doesn't use Unicode.