Entering and leaving polyphony with lyrics behaving oddly

Entering and leaving polyphony with lyrics behaving oddly

Jacob Page
I'm encountering something odd.

\version "2.18.2"

\new Staff = "bass" {
  \time 4/4
  \clef bass
  \key g \major

  <<
    \new Voice = "bs" {
      \voiceTwo
      g,1
    }

    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "bs" {
      Don't
    }

    \new Voice = "br" {
      \voiceOne
      r4 d2.
    }

    \new Lyrics \with { alignAboveContext = "bass" } {
      \lyricsto "br" {
        it

  \new Voice = "unis" {
    \relative c {
      \oneVoice
      c4. a8 g2
  \new Lyrics \lyricsto "unis" {
    seem to go?

This is outputting the polyphonic measure just fine, but the subsequent
notes once moving to one voice don't output. I'm given the following output:

Starting lilypond 2.18.2 [Untitled]...

> Processing `/tmp/frescobaldi-dken0tug/tmp3fo7nfbt/document.ly'
>
> Parsing...
>
> Interpreting music...
>
> /tmp/frescobaldi-dken0tug/tmp3fo7nfbt/document.ly:33:11 <0>: warning:
> adding note head to incompatible stem (type = 1/4)
>
> c4.
>
> a8 g2
>
> /tmp/frescobaldi-dken0tug/tmp3fo7nfbt/document.ly:33:11 <1>: warning:
> maybe input should specify polyphonic voices
>
> c4.
>
> a8 g2
>
> /tmp/frescobaldi-dken0tug/tmp3fo7nfbt/document.ly:36:15 <2>: warning:
> cannot find Voice `unis'
>

> \new Lyrics
>
> \lyricsto "unis" {
>
> Preprocessing graphical objects...
>
> Finding the ideal number of pages...
>
> Fitting music on 1 page...
>
> Drawing systems...
>
> Layout output to `document.ps'...
>
> Converting to `./document.pdf'...
>
> Success: compilation successfully completed
>
> Completed successfully in 0.5".

I keep trying to play around with this to identify what's happening more
clearly, but it seems like the lyrics when it's in polyphony are somehow
not "resetting" once it goes back to one voice. If I omit all lyrics, then
the voices lay out correctly. The strange thing is that I use the pattern
elsewhere in the score without issues, so maybe there's also some factor
specific to the voices as well.

Happy to help if you need anything answered!

Re: Entering and leaving polyphony with lyrics behaving oddly

Thomas Morley-2
Hi,

Am Di., 29. Okt. 2019 um 17:09 Uhr schrieb Jacob Page <[hidden email]>:

> I'm encountering something odd.
>
> \version "2.18.2"

you use stable 2.18.2, nevertheless current devel-version is 2.19.83,
which is meant to be a prerelease for next stable 2.20.
2.19.83 is by no means unstable, furthermore:

> \new Staff = "bass" {
>   \time 4/4
>   \clef bass
>   \key g \major
>
>   <<
>     \new Voice = "bs" {
>       \voiceTwo
>       g,1
>     }
>
>     \new Lyrics \lyricsto "bs" {
>       Don't
>     }
>
>     \new Voice = "br" {
>       \voiceOne
>       r4 d2.
>     }
>
>     \new Lyrics \with { alignAboveContext = "bass" } {
>       \lyricsto "br" {
>         it
>       }
>     }
>   >>
>
>   \new Voice = "unis" {
>     \relative c {
>       \oneVoice
>       c4. a8 g2
>     }
>   }
>   \new Lyrics \lyricsto "unis" {
>     seem to go?
>   }
> }
>
> This is outputting the polyphonic measure just fine, but the subsequent
> notes once moving to one voice don't output.

this problem (about dying contexts) is fixed in 2.19.83.
Thus I'd switch to this version.

In general I'd recommend not to created a whole bunch of new contexts
(even of different kind: Voices and Lyrics) while being in another
context.
LilyPond may not be able to sort out what you intend.
Better initiate what you need right from the start (probably keeping
them alive) and distribute content as you like.

<<
    \new Staff = "bass" {
      \time 4/4
      \clef bass
      \key g \major

      <<
        \new Voice = "bs" { \voiceTwo g,1 }
        \new Voice = "br" { \voiceOne r4 d2. }

      \new Voice = "unis" \relative c { \oneVoice c4. a8 g2 }
    }

    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "bs" { Don't }
    \new Lyrics \with { alignAboveContext = "bass" }  \lyricsto "br" { it }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "unis" { seem to go? }

Then it works even for 2.18.2.

Even if LilyPond wasn't able to sort what you entered, I see no bug,
but unfavorable user-input.
Others may differ, though...

Cheers,
  Harm