E-mail management question

SonusProj .
I am a new user and really have no big plans on being a developer or power user.  I just want to get my projects, analysis, practice lessons, etc to paper with some modicum of control.

I have Notion and it works well and quick but the limitations prevent me from getting what I want onto the printed work.  I am particular and want that control.

I want to be able to read other users questions and responses and also want to post questions that arise from my own work.

Subscribing to this e-mail list is overwhelming me with e-mail posts that are beyond me and outside of my scope of interest.  Is it possible to throttle the e-mail so I don't receive 70 e-mails a day?

I guess I am seeing if there is a forum type format that I can come and go at my leisure but in real time so I can post question or responses as necessary.

Best regards,
Lance

Re: E-mail management question

Werner LEMBERG

> Subscribing to this e-mail list is overwhelming me with e-mail posts
> that are beyond me and outside of my scope of interest.  Is it
> possible to throttle the e-mail so I don't receive 70 e-mails a day?

You should activate `thread view' in your e-mail reader.  Then you can
simply ignore all e-mails of a thread as a whole.

Additionally, just imagine that there are 70 newbies on the list, and
every one is asking a separate question.  How will you avoid 70
e-mails then?

> I guess I am seeing if there is a forum type format that I can come
> and go at my leisure but in real time so I can post question or

As mentioned earlier on the list, the number of developers and
experienced users is too small to support both an e-mail list and a
forum.  And since the majority of the developers prefer an e-mail list
(me too, BTW, since it works much better offline), you have to bite
the bullet :-)

On the other hand, why don't you simply scan the e-mail archive at

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user

E-mails are archived within 30 minutes or so.

    Werner

Re: E-mail management question

tisimst
Lance,

On the other hand, all correspondence is archived according to these threads using the free Nabble service. You can find it here:

It keeps the conversations in a more familiar "forum"-like format, so you can go whenever you need without feeling like you have to be in the middle of every other conversation that comes up.

- Abraham

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 9:17 AM, Werner LEMBERG [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Subscribing to this e-mail list is overwhelming me with e-mail posts
> that are beyond me and outside of my scope of interest.  Is it
> possible to throttle the e-mail so I don't receive 70 e-mails a day?

You should activate `thread view' in your e-mail reader.  Then you can
simply ignore all e-mails of a thread as a whole.

Additionally, just imagine that there are 70 newbies on the list, and
every one is asking a separate question.  How will you avoid 70
e-mails then?

> I guess I am seeing if there is a forum type format that I can come
> and go at my leisure but in real time so I can post question or

As mentioned earlier on the list, the number of developers and
experienced users is too small to support both an e-mail list and a
forum.  And since the majority of the developers prefer an e-mail list
(me too, BTW, since it works much better offline), you have to bite
the bullet :-)

On the other hand, why don't you simply scan the e-mail archive at

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user

E-mails are archived within 30 minutes or so.

    Werner

http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/E-mail-management-question-tp175164p175174.html
To start a new topic under User, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Lilypond, click here.
NAML

Re: E-mail management question

SonusProj .
Thanks Abraham and also thanks Werner.

I try both suggestions.

I see a method, though cumbersome, to post to this e-mail group without being a subscriber.  How does one stop being a subscriber if I choose that path?

Also, I see nabble has a login.  Does this site allow replies to the posts it contains?

Regards,
Lance

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 10:20 AM, tisimst <[hidden email]> wrote:
Lance,

On the other hand, all correspondence is archived according to these threads using the free Nabble service. You can find it here:

It keeps the conversations in a more familiar "forum"-like format, so you can go whenever you need without feeling like you have to be in the middle of every other conversation that comes up.

- Abraham

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 9:17 AM, Werner LEMBERG [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Subscribing to this e-mail list is overwhelming me with e-mail posts
> that are beyond me and outside of my scope of interest.  Is it
> possible to throttle the e-mail so I don't receive 70 e-mails a day?

You should activate `thread view' in your e-mail reader.  Then you can
simply ignore all e-mails of a thread as a whole.

Additionally, just imagine that there are 70 newbies on the list, and
every one is asking a separate question.  How will you avoid 70
e-mails then?

> I guess I am seeing if there is a forum type format that I can come
> and go at my leisure but in real time so I can post question or

As mentioned earlier on the list, the number of developers and
experienced users is too small to support both an e-mail list and a
forum.  And since the majority of the developers prefer an e-mail list
(me too, BTW, since it works much better offline), you have to bite
the bullet :-)

On the other hand, why don't you simply scan the e-mail archive at

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user

E-mails are archived within 30 minutes or so.

    Werner

http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/E-mail-management-question-tp175164p175174.html
To start a new topic under User, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Lilypond, click here.
NAML

Re: E-mail management question

tisimst
Nabble does have its own account login, so you'd need to create that with them in order to *write* a post on their site. Reading is always open without an account.

 You can change your subscription settings or unsubscribe there. But, if I'm not mistaken, you need to be subscribed to the mailing list in order to use Nabble archive appropriately. However, you can create an email filter that pre-sorts any correspondence from the list, either to its own archivedd directory, or whatever.

- Abraham

http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/E-mail-management-question-tp175164p175178.html
To start a new topic under User, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Lilypond, click here.
NAML

Re: E-mail management question

Federico Bruni
I see a method, though cumbersome, to post to this e-mail group without being a subscriber.  How does one stop being a subscriber if I choose that path?

You must be subscribed to the list to be able to post a mesage from your email client.
I suggest going in the mailing list preferences (see link in the footer of this email) and disable the email sending. This means that you'll receive replies to your questions only if someone replies to all, i.e. both the list and you, which happens to be the best practice in this list (while in other list it's seen as evil).

Re: E-mail management question

Peter Bjuhr

On 2015-04-23 16:59, SonusProj . wrote:
> Subscribing to this e-mail list is overwhelming me with e-mail posts
> that are beyond me and outside of my scope of interest.  Is it
> possible to throttle the e-mail so I don't receive 70 e-mails a day?
>
> I guess I am seeing if there is a forum type format that I can come
> and go at my leisure but in real time so I can post question or

As you have a gmail account I can mention yet another possibility: You
can create a tag for mails from this list. Then you can create a filter
that lets mails with that tag skip the inbox. That way the list mails
doesn't fill your inbox, and they are nicely collected by any email
client with the help of the tag.

Best
Peter

Re: E-mail management question

SoundsFromSound
SonusProj . wrote
[...]

Hello,

I made a short video about this a while back, maybe it will help you. I use GMAIL and filter LilyPond mail that way, it's very helpful in organizing the community interactions.

Hope this helps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zIk7pA-k8o

Ben
composer | sound designer | asmr artist
LilyPond video tutorials: http://bit.ly/LearnLilyPond

Re: E-mail management question

Hans Åberg-2

> On 23 Apr 2015, at 16:59, SonusProj . <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Subscribing to this e-mail list is overwhelming me with e-mail posts that are beyond me and outside of my scope of interest.  Is it possible to throttle the e-mail so I don't receive 70 e-mails a day?

One option is a daily digest, good if you have poor bandwidth. After subscribing, log in and set this and other options at
  https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/options/lilypond-user/

Another way to handle a large flow is to make a local mailbox and set a rule (also called filter) that moves the stuff into this mailbox automatically. It is usually quick to scan the subjects.

Re: E-mail management question

SonusProj .
Filters work perfectly.

I can now review, ignore, or delete the email as it fills my new Lilypond folder on the email server.  Inbox is always bypassed.  No more phone blowing-up all day.  :)

Great suggestions from everyone.

Thanks,
Lance

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 11:35 AM, SoundsFromSound <[hidden email]> wrote:
SonusProj . wrote
> I am a new user and really have no big plans on being a developer or power
> user.  I just want to get my projects, analysis, practice lessons, etc to
> paper with some modicum of control.
>
> I have Notion and it works well and quick but the limitations prevent me
> from getting what I want onto the printed work.  I am particular and want
> that control.
>
> I want to be able to read other users questions and responses and also
> want
> to post questions that arise from my own work.
>
> Subscribing to this e-mail list is overwhelming me with e-mail posts that
> are beyond me and outside of my scope of interest.  Is it possible to
> throttle the e-mail so I don't receive 70 e-mails a day?
>
> I guess I am seeing if there is a forum type format that I can come and go
> at my leisure but in real time so I can post question or responses as
> necessary.
>
> Best regards,
> Lance

Hello,

I made a short video about this a while back, maybe it will help you. I use
GMAIL and filter LilyPond mail that way, it's very helpful in organizing the
community interactions.

Hope this helps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zIk7pA-k8o

Ben