Dynamics and Figured Bass

Trent Johnston
Hello,

Just a quick question.

I'm  currently entering a score with a bass figure line and sometimes on the
line there are dynamics. Is there a way to make the dymanic line transparent
to the figured bass line so that the figured bass isn't placed underneath
the dynamic marks.

Trent

Re: Dynamics and Figured Bass

Mats Bengtsson-4
What really happens is that the dynamics increase the vertical space that
LilyPond allocates for the stave. Think of it as a rectangle enclosing
the stave. A similar virtual rectangle is placed around the figured bass
and then these two rectangles are placed edge to edge.

This is described in the section on Vertical spacing (even though in
somewhat other words). The text in that section only describes how to
increase the vertical spacing, by setting minimumVerticalExtent or
extraVerticalExtent. However, if you follow the link to
Axis_group_engraver at the bottom of the page, you will also find
the documentation of a property called verticalExtent that you can
use to set a fixed height of the "rectangle" around the Staff context.
This provides one solution to your problem.

   /Mats