Duration dot error with shifted notes

Devon LePage
I’m currently engraving Debussy’s “La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin.” LilyPond has come up with a problem, and I’m having trouble understanding why it’s happening.

It occurs on the lower staff in the third measure of the last line. The music here involves three voices. I want the dotted half notes in voices one and two to line up vertically, while the quarter notes in the third voice are shifted slightly to the right. However, the dots appear to the right of the third voice!

Here’s a picture of what’s happening in LilyPond (keep in mind, the engraving is still a work in progress!):

debussy-fille-excerpt-LILYPOND.jpg

I’m using LilyPond version 2.19.40.

Here’s a short gist with only the LilyPond code for the lower staff for the last line: https://gist.github.com/devonlepage/6533ca0b207ccd5084920efd5ddb6359

Although I’ve been using the original Durand edition, here’s a link to an image of the last line in the Peters edition, where the three voices are more clearly delineated: https://imagebin.ca/v/3OdSMIiuB7iP

I hope that someone can help me solve this issue.

Thanks!

-Devon.

Re: Duration dot error with shifted notes

Andrew Bernard
Hi Devon,

A way to do it is to use Dots.extra-offset.

You can do some good things by putting the dot column engraver in the Voice context rather than the Staff context, but I could not get that to help here in my quick attempt. Others may know more.

  \layout {
    \context {
      \Staff
      \remove "Dot_column_engraver"
    }
    \context {
      \Voice
      \consists "Dot_column_engraver"

Andrew

== snip

\version "2.19.61"

\paper {
  ragged-last = ##f
  indent = 0
}

voiceFirst = {
  <es as>2. |

  % m. 36
  % -----
  \clef "treble"
  \voiceOne
  <ges' bes' des''>2.~\arpeggio |
  \once \override Dots #'extra-offset = #'(-4 . 0)
  <ges' bes' des''>2. |
  <ges' bes' des''>2.~ |
  <ges' bes' des''>4 r4 r4 |
  \bar "|."
}

voiceSecond = {
  s2. |

  % m. 36
  % -----
  \voiceTwo
  \clef "treble"
  <ges des'>2.~\arpeggio |
  \once \override Dots #'extra-offset = #'(-4 . 0)
  <ges des'>2. |
  <ges des'>2.~ |
  <ges des'>4 s2 |
  \bar "|."
}

voiceThird = {
  s2. |

  % m. 36
  % -----
  \voiceFour
  \stemUp
  \clef "treble"
  s2. |
  \once \override NoteColumn.force-hshift = #3
  %\once \override Arpeggio.padding = #0.25
  <des'' des'>4\arpeggio-- r4 r4 |
  s2. |
  s2. |
  \bar "|."

  \new Staff \with { \consists "Span_arpeggio_engraver" }
  <<
    \set Staff.connectArpeggios = ##t
    \clef "bass"
    \time 3/4