Custom page size in LaTeX causes lilypond-book to produce bad output.

Custom page size in LaTeX causes lilypond-book to produce bad output.

Michael Haynie
Greetings:

In Lilypond 2.2, I used to LaTeX with the vmargin package to define a
custom paper size for a 1/2 size songbook.  With lilypond 2.6, simply
including the vmargin  package ( just \include[vmargin] -- it's part of
a typical TeX installation) causes lilypond-book to produce a score
with the first measure of the first system placed up beside the title
block for the piece.

Has anyone found a way to change page dimensions in this way?

Does anyone know what might be tripping Lilypond up?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Custom page size in LaTeX causes lilypond-book to produce bad output.

Mats Bengtsson-6
I cannot repeat the problem. Could you please send a small but complete
example
file that illustrates the problem to the mailing list?
Personally, I have always used the geometry package to get custom page
sizes in LaTeX.

Also, if the only purpose of using lilypond-book is to get the page size, I
hope you realize that it can be done also within LilyPond. Some additional
information has been added in the manual for version 2.7, that also
should be
relevant to you, see
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.7/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Paper-size.html#Paper-size

  /Mats

Michael Haynie wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> In Lilypond 2.2, I used to LaTeX with the vmargin package to define a
> custom paper size for a 1/2 size songbook.  With lilypond 2.6, simply
> including the vmargin  package ( just \include[vmargin] -- it's part
> of a typical TeX installation) causes lilypond-book to produce a score
> with the first measure of the first system placed up beside the title
> block for the piece.
>
> Has anyone found a way to change page dimensions in this way?
>
> Does anyone know what might be tripping Lilypond up?
>
> Thanks in advance.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: Custom page size in LaTeX causes lilypond-book to produce bad output.

Michael Haynie
As requested, attached are 4 files: two source files representing a
broken and working example (nearly identical, as a diff will show, and
the resulting output.  Both files were built using
        lilypond-book -f latex --psfonts <filename>
followed by invocations of latex, dvips, etc.

Like this:

lilypond-book -f latex --psfonts working.ltx
latex \\nonstopmode\\input working.tex
dvips -T 8.5in,13.13in -Ppdf -h working.psfonts -o working.ps
working.dvi
ps2pdf working.ps working.pdf
rm working.tex working.ps working.dvi

Obviously, the examples could be accomplished more simply, but then I
wouldn't be able to use LaTeX's excellent TOC, chapter, index, etc.
functionality.

On Nov 14, 2005, at 4:43 AM, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

> I cannot repeat the problem. Could you please send a small but
> complete example
> file that illustrates the problem to the mailing list?
> Personally, I have always used the geometry package to get custom page
> sizes in LaTeX.
>
> Also, if the only purpose of using lilypond-book is to get the page
> size, I
> hope you realize that it can be done also within LilyPond. Some
> additional
> information has been added in the manual for version 2.7, that also
> should be
> relevant to you, see
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.7/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/
> Paper-size.html#Paper-size
>
>  /Mats
>
> Michael Haynie wrote:
>
>> Greetings:
>>
>> In Lilypond 2.2, I used to LaTeX with the vmargin package to define a
>> custom paper size for a 1/2 size songbook.  With lilypond 2.6, simply
>> including the vmargin  package ( just \include[vmargin] -- it's part
>> of a typical TeX installation) causes lilypond-book to produce a
>> score with the first measure of the first system placed up beside the
>> title block for the piece.
>>
>> Has anyone found a way to change page dimensions in this way?
>>
>> Does anyone know what might be tripping Lilypond up?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

> Mats Bengtsson
> Signal Processing
> Signals, Sensors and Systems
> Royal Institute of Technology
> SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
> Sweden
> Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
>        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
> Email: [hidden email]
> WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

broken.ltx (540 bytes) Download Attachment
working.ltx (542 bytes) Download Attachment
broken.pdf (10K) Download Attachment
working.pdf (11K) Download Attachment

Re: Custom page size in LaTeX causes lilypond-book to produce bad output.

Mats Bengtsson-6
It turns out that there is a "bug" in verson 2.6 that has been solved
long time
ago in version 2.7, so I had forgot about it. Just add the following
somewhere
before \begin{document}:

\newcommand{\betweenLilyPondSystem}[1]{\linebreak}

May I ask why you use \usepackage{vpage} and not \usepackage{vmargin}
(which is what is loaded anyway)?

   /Mats

Michael Haynie wrote:

> [...]
>>

>> --
>>     Mats Bengtsson
>>     Signal Processing
>>     Signals, Sensors and Systems
>>     Royal Institute of Technology
>>     SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
>>     Sweden
>>     Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
>>        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
>>     Email: [hidden email]
>>     WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: Custom page size in LaTeX causes lilypond-book to produce bad output.

Great -- that fixes the problem nicely.  Thanks for the help.

It might avoid some frustration for others if the 2.7 fix were
back-ported to 2.6 -- I have no idea how easy or hard that might be.
Even a note in the documentation on latex-book would be helpful.

As to vpage v.s. vmargin -- I actually use vmargin normally.  However,
when building this example, I used "The LaTeX Companion" as a reference
for _standard packages_.  The copy I have lists vpage, but not vmargin,
so I made the change for the test.

The project driving this is a little songbook.  I use LaTeX to setup a
title page, TOC, and index, and assign song numbers.  The pages are
sized so that when they are scaled and rotated for 2-up on letter, they
fill the page nicely, leaving a center trough for a fold. I run the
postscript through psbook to arrange the pages for signature assembly.
I then print it two-sided, fold in the center, and stitch (or staple)
the pages together.  Works pretty well up to 48 pages or so.  With more
pages than that, you either need to use multiple signatures, or stop
hand-binding :).

The steps for the whole process look like this:

lilypond-book -f latex --psfonts  book.ltx
latex \\nonstopmode\\input book.tex
makeindex book
latex \\nonstopmode\\input book.tex
dvips -T 8.5in,13.13in -Ppdf -h book.psfonts -o book.ps book.dvi
psbook book.ps | psnup -2 -m0.25in -pletter -W8.5in -H13.13in >
book-signature.ps
ps2pdf book-signature.ps book-signature.pdf

If I recall correctly, I had some difficulty convincing dvips (or maybe
psnup) to work with small pages.  Larger pages worked fine.