Cross-staff chords

Erik Sandberg
Hi,

While exploring MusicXML, I found an example of cross-staff chords, see page 19
of:
http://www.recordare.com/xml/musicxml-tutorial.pdf

Have I missed something, or is this impossible to do in lily? Are there plans to
add it?

Erik

Re: Cross-staff chords

Trevor Bača-2
On 8/26/05, Erik Sandberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While exploring MusicXML, I found an example of cross-staff chords, see page 19
> of:
> http://www.recordare.com/xml/musicxml-tutorial.pdf
>
> Have I missed something, or is this impossible to do in lily? Are there plans to
> add it?
>
> Erik
Hi Erik,

You can use stem length within a PianoStaff in Lily and it works great
even though the stem length setting is a manual fiddle.

I don't think you can do the same thing outside of a PianoStaff (but I
haven't checked yet).

You can see very elegant examples in some of Takemitsu's later scores
where he'll beam together the string section when they play in unison.
And then, of course, there's Xenakis ... who had no problem beaming
together 20 staves at a time.

(If you'd like examples from those or other scores for the thesis, let
me know and I'll scan them and send them to you privately since you'd
need near full-page scans to get the effect.)

Trevor Bača

Re: Cross-staff chords

Erik Sandberg
Citerar Trevor Baca <[hidden email]>:

> On 8/26/05, Erik Sandberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > While exploring MusicXML, I found an example of cross-staff chords, see
> page 19
> > of:
> > http://www.recordare.com/xml/musicxml-tutorial.pdf
> >
> > Have I missed something, or is this impossible to do in lily? Are there
> plans to
> > add it?
> >
> > Erik
>
> Hi Erik,
>
> You can use stem length within a PianoStaff in Lily and it works great
> even though the stem length setting is a manual fiddle.

Hm .. What I really would need is something that abstracts this. Setting stem
length would be a working hack for xml2lily, but this hack woulnd't produce
correct results when going back with lily2xml.

My question is really: Are there any (possibly far-future) plans to make true
cross-staff chords possible?

> You can see very elegant examples in some of Takemitsu's later scores
> where he'll beam together the string section when they play in unison.
> And then, of course, there's Xenakis ... who had no problem beaming
> together 20 staves at a time.
>
> (If you'd like examples from those or other scores for the thesis, let
> me know and I'll scan them and send them to you privately since you'd
> need near full-page scans to get the effect.)

Thanks, but I'll produce my own minimal examples, if needed.

Erik

Re: Cross-staff chords

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Erik Sandberg wrote:
> My question is really: Are there any (possibly far-future) plans to make true
> cross-staff chords possible?

Yes, but for lack of oodles of money/time, they are still far-future.