Cross noteheads

Andrew Neil
When I attempt to override the notehead style to cross, I get the following output in the console:

Parsing...<unnamed port>: In expression ’style:
<unnamed port>: Unbound variable: ’style

Lilypond doesn't get any further than this, and stops working.  This occurs when the following is present in my .ly file:

c4 d
\override NoteHead #’style = #’cross
e f
\revert NoteHead #’style

(As copied from section 8.4.5 of the documentation)
If I remove the \override and \revert statements, the file is parsed without a problem.
Can anyone help?
Thanks

Re: Cross noteheads

Gilles Sadowski

> When I attempt to override the notehead style to cross, I get the
> following output in the console:

This works fine here:

%---
\version "2.6.0"

themusic = \new Staff
\relative c'' {
  c4 d
  \override NoteHead #'style = #'cross
  e f
  \revert NoteHead #'style
  c d

  \themusic
  \layout {}
}
%--

> c4 d
> \override NoteHead #’style = #’cross
> e f
> \revert NoteHead #’style

But... When I copy-pasted the above, the quotes seemed "unusual",
which might be the cause of the problem (as discussed a few posts
ago).

Best,
Gilles

Re: Cross noteheads

Graham Percival-2

On 16-Nov-05, at 4:16 PM, Andrew Neil wrote:

> c4 d
> \override NoteHead #’style = #’cross
> e f
> \revert NoteHead #’style
>
> (As copied from section 8.4.5 of the documentation)

Unfortunately the pdf documentation replaces the normal ' character
with a fancier curly '.  Replace every apostrophe in this example with
'  (ie your normal keyboard ') and it will work.

Re: Cross noteheads

Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Graham Percival writes:

> Unfortunately the pdf documentation replaces the normal ' character
> with a fancier curly '.

We should look to get this fixed.

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

Re: Cross noteheads

Andrew Neil
Thanks for that.  I'm happy that it was such a simple fix!