Convert-ly adds line breaks

Mark Mathias-3
Running Frescobaldi 3.1.1 "Update with convert-ly" from LilyPond 2.18.2 to 2.20.0 added an extra line break to every line of the .ly file (Windows10). I can strip them out of course, but is there a way to avoid this? Couldn't find anything in Frescobaldi preferences that covers this.

Thank you,
Mark

RE: Convert-ly adds line breaks

Mark Stephen Mrotek

Mark,

The same happened when I used convert.ly.

Mark

Running Frescobaldi 3.1.1 "Update with convert-ly" from LilyPond 2.18.2 to 2.20.0 added an extra line break to every line of the .ly file (Windows10). I can strip them out of course, but is there a way to avoid this? Couldn't find anything in Frescobaldi preferences that covers this.

Thank you,

Mark

Re: Convert-ly adds line breaks

Anders Eriksson
On 2020-03-15 18:48, Mark Stephen Mrotek wrote:

Mark,

The same happened when I used convert.ly.

Mark

Running Frescobaldi 3.1.1 "Update with convert-ly" from LilyPond 2.18.2 to 2.20.0 added an extra line break to every line of the .ly file (Windows10). I can strip them out of course, but is there a way to avoid this? Couldn't find anything in Frescobaldi preferences that covers this.

Thank you,

Mark

Running convert.ly directly from command line works!
Windows 10
Lilypond 2.20.0

But not from Frescobaldi 3.1

// Anders

Re: Convert-ly adds line breaks

Martin Neubauer

I suspect this is a Unix vs. Windows line ending issue. Maybe you can
either run some utility like dos2unix (or whatever is available for
windows these days) prior to running convert-ly, or confirm which line
terminators are used before and after running convert-ly via some
hexdump utility. Again, I'm out of the loop what the cool kids are using
for this purpose on windows nowadays.

All the best,
Martin

On 15/03/2020 18:48, Mark Stephen Mrotek wrote:

> Mark,
>

> The same happened when I used convert.ly.
>

> Mark

Anders,

Thank you for your reply.

I have not used “command line” to run convert.ly.

Can you provide a process?

Thank you,

Mark

Mark,

// Anders

On 2020-03-15 20:18, Mark Stephen Mrotek wrote:

Anders,

Thank you for your reply.

I have not used “command line” to run convert.ly.

Can you provide a process?

Thank you,

Mark

Hello Mark,

1.    Start a command Window (cmd)
2.    change the current directory to <lilypond installation directory>\usr\bin
3.    type convert-ly.py  -e <full path to the .ly file you want converted>
(4    Press enter )

The original file will be renamed <filename.ly>~

The converted file will get the original name.

// Anders

On 2020-03-15 18:48, Mark Stephen Mrotek wrote:

Mark,

The same happened when I used convert.ly.

Mark

RE: Convert-ly adds line breaks

Mark Stephen Mrotek

Anders,

Thanks for teaching a old dog some new tricks!

Mark

Anders Eriksson <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 2020-03-15 20:18, Mark Stephen Mrotek wrote:
>>
>> Anders,
>>
>> Thank you for your reply.
>>
>> I have not used “command line” to run convert.ly.
>>
>> Can you provide a process?
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Mark
>>
> Hello Mark,
>
> 1.    Start a command Window (cmd)
> 2.    change the current directory to <lilypond installation
> directory>\usr\bin
> 3.    type convert-ly.py  -e <full path to the .ly file you want converted>
> (4    Press enter )
>
> The original file will be renamed <filename.ly>~
>
> The converted file will get the original name.

I prefer to use convert-ly -ed here.

‘-d, --diff-version-update’
     increase the ‘\version’ string only if the file has actually been
     changed.  In that case, the version header will correspond to the
     version after the last actual change.  An unstable version number
     will be rounded up to the next stable version number unless that
     would exceed the target version number.  Without this option, the
     version will instead reflect the last _attempted_ conversion.

Why use that?  Because if there is no necessity to changing the file,
leaving it at the old number increases the likelihood that _if_ the
convert-ly script is improved at some later point of time, your files
have a chance to get the improved conversion.

RE: Convert-ly adds line breaks

Daniel Rosen

That's exactly what it is. The Frescobaldi project has an open issue for this that I just commented on earlier today (before I saw that this thread existed): https://github.com/frescobaldi/frescobaldi/issues/880#issuecomment-599236580

DR

Re: Convert-ly adds line breaks

Mark Mathias-3
Thank you to all, especially Daniel re the open issue.

Will bide my time,

MPM