Consecutive \grace music

Dan Eble
```
\version "2.20.0"
{ \grace c8 \grace d8 e4 }

```

That crashes.  The oldest version I tried was 2.20, but I suspect the problem is ancient.  Does anyone disagree that the above would ideally be treated as if it were this?

```
{ \grace { c8 d8 } e4 }
```

Regards,

Dan

Re: Consecutive \grace music

Aaron Hill
On 2020-09-15 5:07 pm, Dan Eble wrote:

> ```
> \version "2.20.0"
> { \grace c8 \grace d8 e4 }
>
> ```
>
> That crashes.  The oldest version I tried was 2.20, but I suspect the
> problem is ancient.  Does anyone disagree that the above would ideally
> be treated as if it were this?
>
> ```
> { \grace { c8 d8 } e4 }
> ```

Seems reasonable to concatenate similar grace types.  Although, would it
make sense to also support consecutive graces of differing types?

%%%%
{ \grace g'8 \appoggiatura { a'16 b' } bes'2 }
%%%%

Granted, the above could be achieved approximately with the following:

%%%%
{ \grace g'8 \set fontSize = #-3 a'16_( b' \unset fontSize bes'2*3/4) }
%%%%

-- Aaron Hill

Re: Consecutive \grace music

Dan Eble <[hidden email]> writes:

> ```
> \version "2.20.0"
> { \grace c8 \grace d8 e4 }
>
> ```
>
> That crashes.  The oldest version I tried was 2.20, but I suspect the
> problem is ancient.  Does anyone disagree that the above would ideally
> be treated as if it were this?
>
> ```
> { \grace { c8 d8 } e4 }
> ```

\grace does not just introduce grace timing.  It also does things like
\stemUp and size reduction.  So what should happen with

{ \grace { \stemDown c8 } { d8 } }

?

Re: Consecutive \grace music

Werner LEMBERG

>> Does anyone disagree that the above would ideally be treated as if
>> it were this?
>>
>> ```
>> { \grace { c8 d8 } e4 }
>> ```
>
> \grace does not just introduce grace timing.  It also does things
> like \stemUp and size reduction.  So what should happen with
>
> { \grace { \stemDown c8 } { d8 } }
>
> ?

It seems the best solution is to throw an error.  It certainly makes
the least headache.

    Werner