Compiling from LilyDev

Owen Lamb
Hi all,

I've hit a couple roadblocks trying to compile LilyPond from LilyDev as per
the instructions on the website(
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/contributor/compiling-with-lilydev),
both during the "Preparing the build" step where ../configure is run.

First, the environment variable $METAFONT wasn't defined, making the Checking
for metafont mode... step fail. I set it to the value I thought it would
need, the executable at /usr/bin/mf. That seemed to fix the issue, but I
just wanted to make sure--the variable *is *supposed to point there, right?

Second, I'm getting an error on three other steps, all referring to a
missing kpsewhich file or folder:

checking for metapost required files... lstat(./kpsewhich) failed ...
./kpsewhich: No such file or directory
kpsewhich: ../../../texk/kpathsea/progname.c:316: remove_dots: Assertion
`ret' failed.
no
[...]
checking for epsf.tex... lstat(./kpsewhich) failed ...
./kpsewhich: No such file or directory
kpsewhich: ../../../texk/kpathsea/progname.c:316: remove_dots: Assertion
`ret' failed.
not found
checking for Cyrillic characters support in TeX... lstat(./kpsewhich)
failed ...
./kpsewhich: No such file or directory
kpsewhich: ../../../texk/kpathsea/progname.c:316: remove_dots: Assertion
`ret' failed.
not found

This causes an error later on:
ERROR: Please install required programs:  metapost CTAN package
(texlive-metapost) epsf.tex lh CTAN package (texlive-lang-cyrillic or
texlive-texmf-fonts)
...even though they are installed.

I don't really know what kpeswitch is supposed to do, so... does anyone
know what went wrong?

Thanks,
Owen

Re: Compiling from LilyDev

Carl Sorensen-3

On 5/10/20, 8:50 PM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of Owen Lamb" <lilypond-devel-bounces+c_sorensen=[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

----------
Response from Carl Sorensen:

Owen,

Great job working through all this!  Getting LilyPond compiling can be a bear.  LilyDev used to work completely out-of-the-box, but it seems like as we've tried to make it a smaller install, it's not so foolproof.

Kpsewhich is part of the TeX system -- it's a utility that searches the kpathsea paths to find files.  But I don't know how to fix the problem in your copy of LilyDev.

Federico Bruni is probably the most knowledgeable person on LilyDev.  I've added him to the responses on this email.

Sorry I'm not more help.

Carl

RE: Compiling from LilyDev

lilypond-5

Carl,

I just created a new machine from the LilyDev image.
I created a Hyper-V machine instead of a virtual box image, but for the matter of your problem that should not be a problem.
I can run ../configure without a problem, and did run make.

So the LilyDev image is  correct.

I have no environment variable $METAFONT, so that is not needed.

Just to be sure you did not forget a major step:
Did you run ~/install.sh?
(http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/contributor/lilydev installing lilydev point 14
Did you run autogen.sh --noconfigure while in the $LILYPOND_GIT folder?
Did you run ../configure while in the $LILYPOND_GIT folder?
Is the value of $LILYPOND_GIT (echo $LILYPOND_GIT) lilypond-git?
(This is set so in ~/setup.sh)

One more point: During setup.sh you need a stable internet connection.
I hope this all helps you

Jaap de Wolff

RE: Compiling from LilyDev

lilypond-5
This is the second time I send this message.

I did not receive it back the first time, so to be sure.

Jaap de Wolff

Re: Compiling from LilyDev

Owen Lamb
Hi Jaap,

Thank you for helping me find the issue! I double checked, and I didn't
miss any of those steps. I figured I must have messed something up earlier
on, maybe in the VirtualBox configuration, and sure enough, when I made a
fresh dynamic image and did everything over again, the ../configure step
worked perfectly. At any rate, I can now continue with compiling, so I'll
let you know if I encounter any more issues.

--Owen