Combining diacriticals

Don Blaheta
I want a character that is æ with an acute accent over it.  Right now, I
appear to have two choices:

  1) Have æ followed by an acute accent (by typing æ and then "COMBINING
        ACUTE ACCENT")
  2) Have æ with an acute accent over it, but in a different font (by
        typing "LATIN SMALL LETTER AE WITH ACUTE" from the Extended-B
        code block)

I think #1 is what I tried before, and it worked, but now it definitely
doesn't.  I've attached a ly file (zipped to avoid accidentally
corrupting it in transfer) with four lyric words in it: the first
contains just æ, the second æ followed by "ACUTE ACCENT" (*supposed* to
not combine), the third æ followed by "COMBINING ACUTE ACCENT" (should
combine, but doesn't), and the fourth "LATIN SMALL LETTER AE WITH
ACUTE", which renders but in an ugly different font.

I'd argue that that last is buggy behaviour, but I suspect it fits the
Unicode spec.  Not combining, though, that's annoying.  I know the
middle two are different because xterm displays one as two characters
(correctly) and the other as a blank, because it knows it's a character
it doesn't have glyphs for.

--
-=-Don Blaheta-=-=-[hidden email]-=-=-=-<http://www.blahedo.org/>-=-
"The really great thing about C is that it will let you do absolutely

test-ae.zip (370 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Combining diacriticals

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Don Blaheta wrote:

> I want a character that is æ with an acute accent over it.  Right now, I
> appear to have two choices:
>
>   1) Have æ followed by an acute accent (by typing æ and then "COMBINING
> ACUTE ACCENT")
>   2) Have æ with an acute accent over it, but in a different font (by
> typing "LATIN SMALL LETTER AE WITH ACUTE" from the Extended-B
> code block)
>
> I think #1 is what I tried before, and it worked, but now it definitely
> doesn't.  I've attached a ly file (zipped to avoid accidentally
> corrupting it in transfer) with four lyric words in it: the first
> contains just æ, the second æ followed by "ACUTE ACCENT" (*supposed* to
> not combine), the third æ followed by "COMBINING ACUTE ACCENT" (should
> combine, but doesn't), and the fourth "LATIN SMALL LETTER AE WITH
> ACUTE", which renders but in an ugly different font.

I think this is a problem in Pango. Can you verify whether this works
in, say, Gedit, for the century schoolbook font ?

Re: Combining diacriticals

Don Blaheta
Quoth Han-Wen Nienhuys:

> Don Blaheta wrote:
> > I want a character that is æ with an acute accent over it.  Right now, I
> > appear to have two choices:
> >
> >   1) Have æ followed by an acute accent (by typing æ and then "COMBINING
> > ACUTE ACCENT")
> >   2) Have æ with an acute accent over it, but in a different font (by
> > typing "LATIN SMALL LETTER AE WITH ACUTE" from the Extended-B
> > code block)
>
> I think this is a problem in Pango. Can you verify whether this works
> in, say, Gedit, for the century schoolbook font ?

It appears I don't _have_ the century schoolbook font, not in Gedit
anyway (or in TextEdit, for that matter).  But playing around with
different fonts, some it works and some it doesn't.  The combining
accent either doesn't combine, does but misaligns itself, disappears
entirely, or works perfectly; the single character is either in the
correct font or not.  These two things appear to be completley
independent of each other.  If I try the same fonts in TextEdit, the
single char behaves the same (which makes sense), but the combining
diacritic is much better behaved. (Though admittedly there are some fonts
where it doesn't appear; none where it just prints the accent as a
separate character, though.)

If that means it's a pango problem, can someone forward it to the
appropriate bug list?  Or, tell me where to file it?  This is kind of
annoying.

--
-=-Don Blaheta-=-=-[hidden email]-=-=-=-<http://www.blahedo.org/>-=-
It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it. --Steven Wright

Re: Combining diacriticals

Han-Wen Nienhuys

see www.pango.org