Collision between ottava bracket and stems in cross-staff systems

Collision between ottava bracket and stems in cross-staff systems

Paolo Prete-3
Hello,

in cross-staff systems, I see that the ottava bracket can produce an unwanted collision between the "8va" string and the stems. Please, look at:

Is there a way to automatically avoid that, without using the trial-and-error method for adjusting the offset of the object?

Thanks

Re: Collision between ottava bracket and stems in cross-staff systems

Aaron Hill
On 2019-12-08 3:40 pm, Paolo Pr wrote:

> Hello,
>
> in cross-staff systems, I see that the ottava bracket can produce an
> unwanted collision between the "8va" string and the stems. Please, look
> at:
>
> http://lilybin.com/vf4vaj/1
>
> Is there a way to automatically avoid that, without using the
> trial-and-error method for adjusting the offset of the object?

To where should (or could) the bracket move?  It would seem a collision
is unavoidable.

Granted, one option is to apply some whiteout:

%%%%
\layout {
   \context { \Staff
     \override OttavaBracket.layer = #1000
     \override OttavaBracket.whiteout = #2
%%%%

-- Aaron Hill

Re: Collision between ottava bracket and stems in cross-staff systems

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Paolo,

I think you’d want a callback that tweaks shorten-pair?

Look at <http://lilybin.com/vf4vaj/2> for an idea of what the final result might
be.

Hope that helps!
Kieren.

Hello Kieren,

unfortunately this method is trial and error as well. In fact, I can't use the same shorten-pair value if the stem is up or down, and (maybe) if the notehead has different sizes...

I think that the problem with the bracket I just described is a bug or a feature that should be enhanced...

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 1:17 AM kieren_macmillan kieren_macmillan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Paolo,

I think you’d want a callback that tweaks shorten-pair?

Look at <http://lilybin.com/vf4vaj/2> for an idea of what the final result might
be.

Hope that helps!
Kieren.

Not if it’s a callback function.  ;)  You need to write code that determines how
much to shorten/extend (by referencing the width of noteheads, etc.), and
automatically applies the tweak. That’s how you make it not trial-and-error.

That being said, if the 8va moves too far to the left, it would imply that
earlier moments should be ottavated, so… Good luck!  =)

Best,
Kieren.

RE: Collision between ottava bracket and stems in cross-staff systems

Mark Stephen Mrotek

Paolo,

Why not place the entire chord in the treble?

Mark

unfortunately this method is trial and error as well. In fact, I can't use the same shorten-pair value if the stem is up or down, and (maybe) if the notehead has different sizes...

I think that the problem with the bracket I just described is a bug or a feature that should be enhanced...

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 1:17 AM kieren_macmillan kieren_macmillan <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Paolo,

I think you’d want a callback that tweaks shorten-pair?

Look at <http://lilybin.com/vf4vaj/2> for an idea of what the final result might
be.

Hope that helps!
Kieren.

Werner LEMBERG

> I think that the problem with the bracket I just described is a bug
> or a feature that should be enhanced...

Vertical alignment of cross-staff material is partially broken, yes,
from the very beginning.  Search for

  cross AND staff AND status:Accepted

in the issue tracker.

    Werner