ChordNames

Philip Chinery
Hello,

We have a problem (or rather an optical preference) with the chord names
that are deisplayed. Moll chords are displayed like "Am", but we want to
have it another way (maybe it is a german thing...), to have moll chords
displayed lowercase. So "A" remains "A" and "Am" will become "a".

I have posted to the user list but got no respone on that - is it possible
at all at the moment?

I have discovered these properties in the documentation:
 - chordRootNamer
 - chordNoteNamer

The documentations says: "The chordNoteNamer property can be set to a
specialized function to change this behavior. For example, the base can be
printed in lower case."

Now the only problem for me is to know how to write and set such a function,
then I would probably be able to make moll chords lowercase :)

Is this documented somewhere?

Regards,
Philip

Re: ChordNames

Johannes Schindelin
Hi,

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Philip Chinery wrote:

> We have a problem (or rather an optical preference) with the chord names
> that are deisplayed. Moll chords are displayed like "Am", but we want to
> have it another way (maybe it is a german thing...), to have moll chords
> displayed lowercase. So "A" remains "A" and "Am" will become "a".

Have you tried \germanChords?

> Is this documented somewhere?

I looked at

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/user/lilypond/Printing-chord-names.html

Hth,
Dscho

AW: ChordNames

Philip Chinery
> Have you tried \germanChords?

Yes, I have, but it only changes B to H and such things, but our Goal ist to
display "Am" as "a" while "A" remains "A".

Regards,
Philip

Re: AW: ChordNames

Johannes Schindelin
Hi,

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Philip Chinery wrote:

> > Have you tried \germanChords?
>
> Yes, I have, but it only changes B to H and such things, but our Goal ist to
> display "Am" as "a" while "A" remains "A".

Correct. And you cannot just override chordRootNamer, since that function
is only passed a single pitch (not enough information).

Attached is my attempt at it. It is dirt simple, in that it only displays
alower case letter for minor chords, and an upper case letter for all
others. No triangles, numbers or symbols. But it's a start...

Ciao,
Dscho

philip.ly (3K) Download Attachment

AW: AW: ChordNames

Philip Chinery
Thank you very much :)

I will inspect the code, but it looks very good so far. We may only need to
add 6 and 7 chords for our needs, but I will have a try on that and if I
don't succeed I will come back ;-)

Regards,
Philip