Changing a grace note's stem direction

Claire Meyer-2
Hi all,

I'm trying to change a grace note's stem direction, to no avail. I tried both :

\acciaccatura \once \override \stemUp aes

and

\once \override \stemUp \acciaccatura aes

and both produce errors. How do I do it ?

Thanks in advance :)

Claire

Re: Changing a grace note's stem direction

Martín Rincón Botero
Hi Claire,

from the manual

\grace music expression will introduce special typesetting settings, for example, to produce smaller type, and set directions. Hence, when introducing layout tweaks to override the special settings, they should be placed inside the grace expression. The overrides should also be reverted inside the grace expression. Here, the grace note’s default stem direction is overridden and then reverted.

\new Voice \relative {
\acciaccatura {
\stemDown
f''16->
\stemNeutral
}
g4 e c2

Martín.

On Sat 12. Sep 2020 at 22:30 Claire Meyer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to change a grace note's stem direction, to no avail. I tried both :

\acciaccatura \once \override \stemUp aes

and

\once \override \stemUp \acciaccatura aes

and both produce errors. How do I do it ?

Thanks in advance :)

Claire

Re: Changing a grace note's stem direction

Leo Correia de Verdier
Hi Claire!

There is also another mistake in your code:

When you use \override it’s supposed to be followed by a Grob name and the property that’s going to be overridden, like
\override Stem.direction = #UP
When using the commands \stemUp and \stemDown you just write for instance
\once \stemUp, without \override

HTH
\Leo

> 12 sep. 2020 kl. 22:28 skrev Claire Meyer <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to change a grace note's stem direction, to no avail. I tried both :
>
> \acciaccatura \once \override \stemUp aes
>
> and
>
> \once \override \stemUp \acciaccatura aes
>
> and both produce errors. How do I do it ?
>
> Thanks in advance :)
>
> Claire

Re: Changing a grace note's stem direction

Claire Meyer-2
Thanks Leo ! That way, I'll be fumbling more efficiently next time I'm trying to do something ^^