Centred Piano Dynamics

William Oram
Does the template for centred dynamics in a piano staff found in the
2.6 manual actually work? I've copied-and-pasted directly into a test
ly file and gotten no success when building from the lily binary (OSX
Panther). Indeed, I've tried the 2.6 and 2.7.6 templates within their
respective lily binary versions, and both puke.

2.6 sez:

  Processing `/Users/spamguy/pianotest.ly'
Parsing...
/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/share/lilypond/current/
ly/init.ly:27:0: error: syntax error, unexpected SCM_T

#(if (and (ly:get-option 'old-relative)
/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/share/lilypond/current/
ly/init.ly:38:69: error: syntax error, unexpected $end
    (apply ly:make-book $defaultpaper $globalheader toplevel-scores)))

error: failed files: "/Users/spamguy/pianotest.ly"

---

2.7.6 sez the same thing.

Looking a few files in Mutopia based on this template, I'm pushed to
think that something's not right on my end.

Will Oram // Genius @ Large // AIM spamguy21
spamguy (at) foxchange (dot) com // wro1 (at) cwru (dot) edu

Re: Centred Piano Dynamics

Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence
Try typing the code in often the copy paste is not satisfactory but
typing the material in often works.
Jay

Will Oram wrote:

> Does the template for centred dynamics in a piano staff found in the
> 2.6 manual actually work? I've copied-and-pasted directly into a test
> ly file and gotten no success when building from the lily binary (OSX
> Panther). Indeed, I've tried the 2.6 and 2.7.6 templates within their
> respective lily binary versions, and both puke.
>
> 2.6 sez:
>
>  Processing `/Users/spamguy/pianotest.ly'
> Parsing...
> /Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/share/lilypond/current/
> ly/init.ly:27:0: error: syntax error, unexpected SCM_T
>
> #(if (and (ly:get-option 'old-relative)
> /Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/share/lilypond/current/
> ly/init.ly:38:69: error: syntax error, unexpected $end
>    (apply ly:make-book $defaultpaper $globalheader toplevel-scores)))
>
> error: failed files: "/Users/spamguy/pianotest.ly"
>
> ---
>
> 2.7.6 sez the same thing.
>
> Looking a few files in Mutopia based on this template, I'm pushed to
> think that something's not right on my end.
>
> Will Oram // Genius @ Large // AIM spamguy21
> spamguy (at) foxchange (dot) com // wro1 (at) cwru (dot) edu

Childhood is a Journey not a race- Emma Sadinsky aged 8
Jay Hamilton
Sound and Silence
206-328-7694
www.soundand.com

Re: Centred Piano Dynamics

Graham Percival-2

On 20-Aug-05, at 8:03 PM, Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence wrote:

> Try typing the code in often the copy paste is not satisfactory but
> typing the material in often works.

Specifically, the apostrophes ' get screwed up by tex.  Even though
they're
in a @verbatim environment.  :(

Solutions are quite welcome.

Re: Centred Piano Dynamics

William Oram
Hmmm, that's a shame. Typing it by hand at least works, to some extent.
Now there's this error:

Processing `/Users/spamguy/pianotest.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...
programming error: Couldn't find type
continuing, cross fingers
Engraver_group_engraver

At this point 2.7.6 halts silently and brings up the last successful
PDF build.

On 21-Aug-05, at 9:59 AM, Will Oram wrote:

> Hmmm, that's a shame. Typing it by hand at least works, to some
> extent. Now there's this error:
>
> Processing `/Users/spamguy/pianotest.ly'
> Parsing...
> Interpreting music...
> programming error: Couldn't find type
> continuing, cross fingers
> Engraver_group_engraver

Try "Engraver_group".  That was recently changed in CVS.

Re: Centred Piano Dynamics

As far as I understand, this copy/paste problem is only a problem if
you use the PDF version of the manual. The HTML version should work
better (especially if you click on the music example to see the
full input but make sure not to copy the trash at the top of the
file that's only needed to give a layout adapted to the HTML).
However, I realize that it migh be a problem if you have a slow
internet-connection since a local copy of the HTML version of the
documentation isn't included in most packages.

     /Mats

Graham Percival wrote:

> On 20-Aug-05, at 8:03 PM, Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence wrote:
>
>> Try typing the code in often the copy paste is not satisfactory but
>> typing the material in often works.
>

> Specifically, the apostrophes ' get screwed up by tex.  Even though they're
> in a @verbatim environment.  :(
>
> Solutions are quite welcome.
>
> - Graham

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
         Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: Centred Piano Dynamics

In addition to all previous answers, you may also want to take a look
at http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2005-08/msg00130.html
for a (in my opinion) much simpler alternative.

    /Mats