Can I help porting to python 3?

Arusekk
Hello!

I would like to help porting lilypond python scripts to python 3. I have
quite an experience, since I have already ported one big python project.

If you want me to help, please tell me the following:

1) what git branch to start with (which has the most recent version of
python scripts, since I will have to start over if there are any heavy
changes from master),

2) is there a policy on how to split changes into commits (or
guidelines, whatever to call it),

3) where to test / send partial commits to,

4) how to file the final version for review and merging.

I can start porting as soon as I know what to start from, and prefer to
use a GitHub fork for my commits and submitting a pull request if it is
up to me to decide.

--

Best regards

Arusekk

Re: Can I help porting to python 3?

Bugs mailing list
Thank you! In the event that you get this finished, please let me know; I maintain the Fedora lilypond package.

--
Gwyn Ciesla
she/her/hers

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 10:20 AM, Arusekk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>

> I would like to help porting lilypond python scripts to python 3. I have
> quite an experience, since I have already ported one big python project.
>

> If you want me to help, please tell me the following:
>

> 1.  what git branch to start with (which has the most recent version of
>     python scripts, since I will have to start over if there are any heavy
>     changes from master),
>

> 2.  is there a policy on how to split changes into commits (or
>     guidelines, whatever to call it),
>

> 3.  where to test / send partial commits to,
> 4.  how to file the final version for review and merging.
>

>     I can start porting as soon as I know what to start from, and prefer to
>     use a GitHub fork for my commits and submitting a pull request if it is
>     up to me to decide.
>

>     --
>

>     Best regards
>

>     Arusekk
>

> bug-lilypond mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/bug-lilypond

Re: Can I help porting to python 3?

Karlin High
On 1/22/2020 10:20 AM, Arusekk wrote:

> I would like to help porting lilypond python scripts to python 3.

There is an ongoing effort in this area, largely by Jonas Hahnfeld. Here
are what I believe to be current references to it.

Link to email thread in lilypond-devel mailing list archive:

<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2019-12/msg00156.html>

Issue tracker:

<https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/5646/>

Code review:

<https://codereview.appspot.com/553420043>

Git branch:

<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lilypond.git/commit/?h=dev/hahnjo/python3>

> 2) is there a policy on how to split changes into commits (or
> guidelines, whatever to call it),
>
> 3) where to test / send partial commits to,
>
> 4) how to file the final version for review and merging.
>
> I can start porting as soon as I know what to start from, and prefer to
> use a GitHub fork for my commits and submitting a pull request if it is
> up to me to decide.

The LilyPond Contributor's Guide is probably the best reference for
those questions.

WEB:
<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/index.html>

PDF:
<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor.pdf>
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA

Am Mittwoch, den 22.01.2020, 11:52 -0600 schrieb Karlin High:

> On 1/22/2020 10:20 AM, Arusekk wrote:
>
> > I would like to help porting lilypond python scripts to python 3.
>
> There is an ongoing effort in this area, largely by Jonas Hahnfeld. Here
> are what I believe to be current references to it.
>
> Link to email thread in lilypond-devel mailing list archive:
>
> <
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2019-12/msg00156.html
> >

> Issue tracker:
>
> <
> https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/5646/
> >

> Code review:
>
> <
> https://codereview.appspot.com/553420043
> >

> Git branch:
>
> <
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lilypond.git/commit/?h=dev/hahnjo/python3

Yes, most of the work should be finished. At this stage testing would
be much appreciated: Basically everything that works in master but
doesn't after applying the patches or compiling dev/hahnjo/python3
needs fixing.

Jonas