Building the website

Phil Holmes-3
Currently I expect that the website is still being built from Savannah.  It
is updated by 2 cron jobs that run every hour, 30 minutes apart.
update-git.sh updates its repository and make-website.sh makes the website.
These scripts are shown on
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/contributor/uploading-and-security

I assume we should plan to change the server to use gitlab.  I can access
the server but don't feel confident to update its git repository.  Could
Jonas (or anyone else) confirm that we should change the server to use the
new location and give me a step-by-step on how to do this?

Thanks.

--
Phil Holmes

Re: Building the website

Jonas Hahnfeld
Am Samstag, den 16.05.2020, 11:02 +0100 schrieb Phil Holmes:

> Currently I expect that the website is still being built from Savannah.  It
> is updated by 2 cron jobs that run every hour, 30 minutes apart.
> update-git.sh updates its repository and make-website.sh makes the website.
> These scripts are shown on
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/contributor/uploading-and-security
>
> I assume we should plan to change the server to use gitlab.  I can access
> the server but don't feel confident to update its git repository.  Could
> Jonas (or anyone else) confirm that we should change the server to use the
> new location and give me a step-by-step on how to do this?
Not necessarily, we can continue to update from Savannah as long as we
push master from GitLab to Savannah (see other thread). I've now pushed
manually, so the website should be updated according to the established
scripts.

Jonas

Re: Building the website

Han-Wen Nienhuys-3
I did this. For reference, you can find out what is running as follows:

$ crontab -l
# from website-rebuild.cron
LILYPOND_GIT=/home/graham/lilypond/lilypond-git/
LILYPOND_WEB_MEDIA_GIT=/home/graham/lilypond/lilypond-extra/
PATH=/home/graham/usr/bin/:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin

11 * * * * $HOME/lilypond/bin/update-git.sh > /dev/null 2>&1
37 * * * * $HOME/lilypond/bin/make-website.sh > /dev/null 2>&1

$ cat lilypond/bin/update-git.sh
### update-git.sh
#!/bin/sh
resultFile=/home/graham/lilypond/gitpull`date +%H`.txt
cd $LILYPOND_GIT
git fetch origin  > $resultFile 2>&1
git merge origin/master >> $resultFile 2>&1
cd $LILYPOND_WEB_MEDIA_GIT
git fetch origin >> $resultFile 2>&1
git merge origin/master >> $resultFile 2>&1

I've updated the git config under /home/graham/lilypond/lilypond-git/
to point to gitlab now.

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 12:11 PM Jonas Hahnfeld <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Samstag, den 16.05.2020, 11:02 +0100 schrieb Phil Holmes:
> > Currently I expect that the website is still being built from Savannah.  It
> > is updated by 2 cron jobs that run every hour, 30 minutes apart.
> > update-git.sh updates its repository and make-website.sh makes the website.
> > These scripts are shown on
> > http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/contributor/uploading-and-security
> >
> > I assume we should plan to change the server to use gitlab.  I can access
> > the server but don't feel confident to update its git repository.  Could
> > Jonas (or anyone else) confirm that we should change the server to use the
> > new location and give me a step-by-step on how to do this?
>
> Not necessarily, we can continue to update from Savannah as long as we
> push master from GitLab to Savannah (see other thread). I've now pushed
> manually, so the website should be updated according to the established
> scripts.
>
> Jonas

Re: Building the website

Jonas Hahnfeld
To make this more explicit: I don't think we should do this. Mirroring
to Savannah and pulling from there is just fine and, as others have
expressed, probably the wiser decision long-term.

Am Samstag, den 16.05.2020, 12:22 +0200 schrieb Han-Wen Nienhuys:

> I did this. For reference, you can find out what is running as follows:
>
> $ crontab -l
> # from website-rebuild.cron
> LILYPOND_GIT=/home/graham/lilypond/lilypond-git/
> LILYPOND_WEB_MEDIA_GIT=/home/graham/lilypond/lilypond-extra/
> PATH=/home/graham/usr/bin/:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
>

> 11 * * * * $HOME/lilypond/bin/update-git.sh > /dev/null 2>&1
> 37 * * * * $HOME/lilypond/bin/make-website.sh > /dev/null 2>&1
>
> $ cat lilypond/bin/update-git.sh
> ### update-git.sh
> #!/bin/sh
> resultFile=/home/graham/lilypond/gitpull`date +%H`.txt
> cd $LILYPOND_GIT
> git fetch origin  > $resultFile 2>&1
> git merge origin/master >> $resultFile 2>&1
> cd $LILYPOND_WEB_MEDIA_GIT
> git fetch origin >> $resultFile 2>&1
> git merge origin/master >> $resultFile 2>&1
>
> I've updated the git config under /home/graham/lilypond/lilypond-git/
> to point to gitlab now.
>
> On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 12:11 PM Jonas Hahnfeld <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
> > Am Samstag, den 16.05.2020, 11:02 +0100 schrieb Phil Holmes:
> > > Currently I expect that the website is still being built from Savannah.  It
> > > is updated by 2 cron jobs that run every hour, 30 minutes apart.
> > > update-git.sh updates its repository and make-website.sh makes the website.
> > > These scripts are shown on
> > > http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/contributor/uploading-and-security
> > >

> > > I assume we should plan to change the server to use gitlab.  I can access
> > > the server but don't feel confident to update its git repository.  Could
> > > Jonas (or anyone else) confirm that we should change the server to use the
> > > new location and give me a step-by-step on how to do this?
> >
> > Not necessarily, we can continue to update from Savannah as long as we
> > push master from GitLab to Savannah (see other thread). I've now pushed
> > manually, so the website should be updated according to the established
> > scripts.
> >
> > Jonas

Re: Building the website

David Kastrup
Jonas Hahnfeld <[hidden email]> writes:

> To make this more explicit: I don't think we should do this. Mirroring
> to Savannah and pulling from there is just fine and, as others have
> expressed, probably the wiser decision long-term.

With regard to "long-term": updating the pull location of the website
server after a wholesale server migration should be the least of our
worries.  While it makes strategic sense sticking with Savannah for
links we publicly advertise (in the Internet community, every
recommendation tends to stick around for years after you want it gone),
the site the web server pulls from is not really public.

So giving this have one hop less to work with is reasonable in my book
for the sake of ongoing operations.