Box Notation

Rowan Belt
Dear LilyPond Community,

I am a new LilyPond user. So far I have been quite pleased with the program. I was trying to find box notation in the documentation, but failed to do so. What I need is an unfilled box that will surround some portion of music, and also a horizontal line extending from the right side of the box. This is used for aleatoric music. Here's an example of what I'm looking for: https://www.rpmseattle.com/of_note/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/120205_boxed_notation_final1.png (Note that there is a small vertical line at the end of the horizontal line. I don't want that, but others might.)

Thank you very much for any help you can provide!

All the best,

Rowan

Re: Box Notation

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Rowan,

> I am a new LilyPond user.

Welcome!

> What I need is an unfilled box that will surround some portion of music, and also a horizontal line extending from the right side of the box.

<https://github.com/lyp-packages/frame-engraver>

Hope that helps!
Kieren.
________________________________

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info
‣ email: [hidden email]

Re: Box Notation

Rowan Belt
Dear Mr. MacMillan,

To start with, thank you very much for your kind, helpful, and immediate reply. It has taken me a while to respond because I was initially daunted by the whole process of obtaining the package. I kept running into difficulties, probably due to my relative ineptitude with computers, so I ended up just downloading the package.ly file and the frame-engraver-test.ly file.

Unfortunately, however, the engraver does not seem to be working. The test file is compiling successfully, but I am getting the following warning messages:

warning: cannot find property type-check for `extender-length' (backend-type?).  perhaps a typing error?
warning: skipping assignment
warning: cannot find property type-check for `left-extra-padding' (backend-type?).  perhaps a typing error?
warning: skipping assignment
warning: cannot find property type-check for `right-extra-padding' (backend-type?).  perhaps a typing error?
warning: skipping assignment
warning: cannot find property type-check for `extender-length' (backend-type?).  perhaps a typing error?
warning: skipping assignment
warning: cannot find property type-check for `extender-length' (backend-type?).  perhaps a typing error?
warning: skipping assignment
warning: You didn't finish final extender.  Completing...

The first two extenders are not showing up, and I cannot figure out how to make the strange brackets on top of the boxes go away.

Any help, again, is greatly appreciated! I wish I knew more Scheme so I could try and fix the problem myself.

All the best,

Rowan

On Sun, Sep 6, 2020, 5:48 PM Kieren MacMillan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Rowan,

> I am a new LilyPond user.

Welcome!