Bookpart without page break?

Nick Payne-3
I'm setting a number of short pieces, several of which will fit two to a page.  If I'm using a table of contents with \bookpart and \tocItem to get the name of each piece into the TOC, is it possible to avoid having a page break between each score so that I can have more than one piece per page?

Nick

Re: Bookpart without page break?

Francisco Vila
2010/4/15  <[hidden email]>:
> I'm setting a number of short pieces, several of which will fit two to a
> page.  If I'm using a table of contents with \bookpart and \tocItem to get
> the name of each piece into the TOC, is it possible to avoid having a page
> break between each score so that I can have more than one piece per page?

Yes, don't use \bookpart, just \score

\bookpart was invented to ease page breaking.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com

On 15/04/10 21:44, Francisco Vila wrote:

> 2010/4/15<[hidden email]>:
>
>> I'm setting a number of short pieces, several of which will fit two to a
>> page.  If I'm using a table of contents with \bookpart and \tocItem to get
>> the name of each piece into the TOC, is it possible to avoid having a page
>> break between each score so that I can have more than one piece per page?
>>
> Yes, don't use \bookpart, just \score
>
> \bookpart was invented to ease page breaking.
I experimented with using \score only, but I couldn't get the headers to
display (with centred title and right-justified composer) for each
piece. I eventually found that I had to add print-all-headers = ##t to
the \paper block to get the header for each piece to display.

2010/4/16 Nick Payne <[hidden email]>:
> I experimented with using \score only, but I couldn't get the headers to
> display (with centred title and right-justified composer) for each piece. I
> eventually found that I had to add print-all-headers = ##t to the \paper
> block to get the header for each piece to display.

Yes, and in order to avoid repeated printing of the first title (score
title = book title), put your header blocks after score blocks, for
each score.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com

Re: Bookpart without page break?

pkx166h-2
Is this is the doc? I took a quick scan (NR 3.1.2 and 3.1.3) and this
sounds like it should go in here somewhere.

I don't pretend to know about header blocks but if you think this would
be good to add I can do that, if you point me where you think it should go.

Francisco Vila wrote:

> 2010/4/16 Nick Payne <[hidden email]>:
>> I experimented with using \score only, but I couldn't get the headers to
>> display (with centred title and right-justified composer) for each piece. I
>> eventually found that I had to add print-all-headers = ##t to the \paper
>> block to get the header for each piece to display.
>
> Yes, and in order to avoid repeated printing of the first title (score
> title = book title), put your header blocks after score blocks, for
> each score.

Re: Bookpart without page break?

Graham Percival-3
(sorry, forgot to send to list)

It's there.

gperciva@gperciva-desktop:~/src/lilypond/Documentation/notation$ git
grep print-all-headers
input.itely:@funindex print-all-headers
input.itely:  print-all-headers = ##t
spacing.itely:@item print-all-headers
spacing.itely:@funindex print-all-headers

A complete revision of the spacing chapter has been desirable and
planned for some time, but will definitely not happen until GDP 2.

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 11:13 AM, James Lowe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is this is the doc? I took a quick scan (NR 3.1.2 and 3.1.3) and this sounds
> like it should go in here somewhere.
>
> I don't pretend to know about header blocks but if you think this would be
> good to add I can do that, if you point me where you think it should go.
>
> Francisco Vila wrote:
>>
>> 2010/4/16 Nick Payne <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> I experimented with using \score only, but I couldn't get the headers to
>>> display (with centred title and right-justified composer) for each piece.
>>> eventually found that I had to add print-all-headers = ##t to the \paper
>>> block to get the header for each piece to display.
>>
>> Yes, and in order to avoid repeated printing of the first title (score
>> title = book title), put your header blocks after score blocks, for
>> each score.

Re: Bookpart without page break?

Mats Bengtsson-4
Graham Percival wrote:

> (sorry, forgot to send to list)
>
> It's there.
>
> gperciva@gperciva-desktop:~/src/lilypond/Documentation/notation$ git
> grep print-all-headers
> input.itely:@funindex print-all-headers
> input.itely:  print-all-headers = ##t
> spacing.itely:@item print-all-headers
> spacing.itely:@funindex print-all-headers
>

> A complete revision of the spacing chapter has been desirable and
> planned for some time, but will definitely not happen until GDP 2.

See also http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=310

   /Mats

> Cheers,
> - Graham
>
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 11:13 AM, James Lowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Is this is the doc? I took a quick scan (NR 3.1.2 and 3.1.3) and this sounds
>> like it should go in here somewhere.
>>
>> I don't pretend to know about header blocks but if you think this would be
>> good to add I can do that, if you point me where you think it should go.
>>
>> Francisco Vila wrote:

>>> Yes, and in order to avoid repeated printing of the first title (score
>>> title = book title), put your header blocks after score blocks, for
>>> each score.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        School of Electrical Engineering
        Royal Institute of Technology (KTH)
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

2010/4/16 Mats Bengtsson <[hidden email]>:

> See also http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=310

Right, but note that I was [partially] wrong here:

I meant: put your header blocks after the music, inside each score block.

Francisco Vila wrote:

> 2010/4/16 Mats Bengtsson <[hidden email]>:
>

>> See also http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=310
>>

> Right, but note that I was [partially] wrong here:

> I meant: put your header blocks after the music, inside each score block.

Right, but if you look carefully at the LSR item I pointed out, you will
see that this is not needed unless you also want a separate title for
the book on top of the titles for each score.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        School of Electrical Engineering
        Royal Institute of Technology (KTH)
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: Bookpart without page break?

Francisco Vila
2010/4/16 Mats Bengtsson <[hidden email]>:

> Francisco Vila wrote:
>> 2010/4/16 Mats Bengtsson <[hidden email]>:
>>> See also http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=310
>> Right, but note that I was [partially] wrong here:
>> I meant: put your header blocks after the music, inside each score block.
> Right, but if you look carefully at the LSR item I pointed out, you will see
> that this is not needed unless you also want a separate title for the book
> on top of the titles for each score.

It is needed anyway. Take the LSR item and try putting the header
blocks in other places. Eg, doing

  \header {  title = "First piece" ... }
  \score{ ... }
  \header{  title = "Second piece" ... }
  \score{ ... }

results on both pieces being titled "Second piece".

And doing

  \score{
    \header{ title=... }
  music...
  }

gives a syntax error. So, the only correct place for several scores is
into score blocks, after the music.

On 17/04/10 00:41, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

> Francisco Vila wrote:
>> 2010/4/16 Mats Bengtsson <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> See also http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=310
>>
>> Right, but note that I was [partially] wrong here:

>> I meant: put your header blocks after the music, inside each score
>> block.
> Right, but if you look carefully at the LSR item I pointed out, you
> will see that this is not needed unless you also want a separate title
> for the book on top of the titles for each score.
No, the header blocks need to go at the end of the score blocks, after
the music. If the header block goes immediately after the start of the
score block, you get an error and the score doesn't build: "error:
syntax error, unexpected \header".

Nick

Re: Bookpart without page break?

Xavier Scheuer
2010/4/17 Nick Payne <[hidden email]>:

> No, the header blocks need to go at the end of the score blocks,
> after the music. If the header block goes immediately after the start
> of the score block, you get an error and the score doesn't build:
> "error: syntax error, unexpected \header".

Yes, and by the way I find this annoying and illogical.

Since the header will be printed *above* the score, one could expect
the \header block to be (within \score but) *above* the music
expression...

Of course I have no idea of all that "development stuff" that implied
this "limitation" but one would appreciate if someone could maybe think
about this again, for the next major release for example.

Thanks,
Xavier

--
Xavier Scheuer <[hidden email]>

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 01:04:38AM +0200, Xavier Scheuer wrote:
> 2010/4/17 Nick Payne <[hidden email]>:
>
> > No, the header blocks need to go at the end of the score blocks,
> > after the music.

More precisely, a score block must start with a music expression;
everything else can be ordered as desired.

> Since the header will be printed *above* the score, one could expect
> the \header block to be (within \score but) *above* the music
> expression...

\header includes tagline and copyright, which does not go above a
score.

> Of course I have no idea of all that "development stuff" that implied
> this "limitation" but one would appreciate if someone could maybe think
> about this again, for the next major release for example.

If you bring it up during GLISS, it will be considered.

Re: Bookpart without page break?

Reinhold Kainhofer
Am Samstag, 17. April 2010 01:04:38 schrieb Xavier Scheuer:

> 2010/4/17 Nick Payne <[hidden email]>:
> > No, the header blocks need to go at the end of the score blocks,
> > after the music. If the header block goes immediately after the start
> > of the score block, you get an error and the score doesn't build:
> > "error: syntax error, unexpected \header".
>
> Yes, and by the way I find this annoying and illogical.
>
> Since the header will be printed *above* the score, one could expect
> the \header block to be (within \score but) *above* the music
> expression...
>
> Of course I have no idea of all that "development stuff" that implied
> this "limitation" but one would appreciate if someone could maybe think
> about this again, for the next major release for example.

Unfortunately, it is not a two-minutes job. A few weeks ago, I also tried to
fix this, since I found it annoying too. Basically, all that needs to be
changed is parser.yy, but unfortunately, the changes are not trivial, and I
couldn't prevent lilypond from crashing in every case...

Cheers,
Reinhold

2010/4/17 Graham Percival <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>
> \header includes tagline and copyright, which does not go above a
> score.

Yes but in the case we use a "global" \header (i.e. outside any \score
block) for everything that is common, then only "piece" and "opus"
are changed in the \header inside the \score.
And both are printed above the score.

And to be in bad faith the large majority of \header variables are
printed above the score.  :p

> If you bring it up during GLISS, it will be considered.

Thanks!
I will add it to my register of grievances.  ;)

2010/4/17 Reinhold Kainhofer <[hidden email]>:

> Unfortunately, it is not a two-minutes job. A few weeks ago, I also
> tried to fix this, since I found it annoying too. Basically, all that
> needs to be changed is parser.yy, but unfortunately, the changes are
> not trivial, and I couldn't prevent lilypond from crashing in every
> case...

Glad to see I'm not the only one to consider this a little annoying.
I was suspecting this wouldn't be that simple from a dev point of view.
But I still hope somebody will look into this and eventually find a
solution.

Thanks for your work Reinhold.

Xavier

--