Beams over rests and concaveness

Gilberto Agostinho
Hi everyone,

It seems that the beam concaveness value is ignored when beaming over rests,
in the case of a single note with a single rest. This happens with and
without stemlet. See the code and score below, the groups marked with an
asterisk should have been flat (+inf.0 concaveness):

  \time 12/8
  g8[ g'8]
  \once \override Beam.concaveness = #+inf.0
  g8[ g'8]

  g8[ r8]
  \once \override Beam.concaveness = #+inf.0
  g8[ r8]^"*"

  \override Stem.stemlet-length = #1
  g8[ r8]
  \once \override Beam.concaveness = #+inf.0
  g8[ r8]^"*"

  g8[ g'16 g''16]
  \once \override Beam.concaveness = #+inf.0
  g8[ g'16 g''16]

  g8[ r16 g''16]
  \once \override Beam.concaveness = #+inf.0
  g8[ r16 g''16]

  \override Stem.stemlet-length = #1
  g8[ r16 g''16]
  \once \override Beam.concaveness = #+inf.0
  g8[ r16 g''16]
}

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t4165/beam.png>

Does anyone know a solution for this?

Many thanks,
Gilberto

Re: Beams over rests and concaveness

Carl Sorensen-3

´╗┐On 1/23/20, 7:48 AM, "Gilberto Agostinho" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    Hi everyone,

    It seems that the beam concaveness value is ignored when beaming over rests,
    in the case of a single note with a single rest. This happens with and
    without stemlet. See the code and score below, the groups marked with an
    asterisk should have been flat (+inf.0 concaveness):

    Does anyone know a solution for this?

I think this is a bug, and should be reported as such.  Neither concaveness nor damping works to set the beam horizontal in this case.

There is a workaround -- set the beam positions yourself.  The rest will move as needed to have the right relationship with the beam:

  \time 12/8
  g8[ g'8]
  \once \override Beam.concaveness = #+inf.0
  g8[ g'8]

  g8[ r8]
 \once \override Beam.positions=#`(0 . 0)
  g8[ r8]^"*"

  \override Stem.stemlet-length = #1
  g8[ r8]
 \once \override Beam.positions=#`(0 . 0)
  g8[ r8]^"*"

}

Hope this helps,

Carl

Re: Beams over rests and concaveness

Gilberto Agostinho
Hi Carl,

Thank you so much for the reply, I will report this in the bugs subforum.
Also, thanks for the workaround, I will use it for the moment being.

Best,
Gilberto