BarNumber.whiteout over StaffGroup vertical lines

BarNumber.whiteout over StaffGroup vertical lines

Pierre-Luc Gauthier
Hi there,

Not sure if this is a bug or if I am using it wrong.

I've started using :
\consists "Mark_engraver"
\consists "Bar_number_engraver"
, etc
inside StaffGroups since it is now working.
(Fixed with I think 622cab6a34 (Thanks to Dan Eble))

But I get a strange and inconsistent result with whiteouts of the
Bar_number_engraver.
The two images I've attached to this email are from a 400+ measures
score. Sometimes the bar number is in front of the vertical system
line and sometimes it is behind. I have not figured out what is
different in each case as it pops-up rather anywhere.

But! I have managed (by error) to "trigger" the behavior in the
following MWE might you {un,}comment line 4.

\version "2.21.0"

music = \repeat unfold 7 {c'4}
%music = \repeat unfold 8 {c'4}

    {s1 \break}
    \new StaffGroup \music
    \new StaffGroup \music

  \layout {
    \override Score.BarNumber.self-alignment-X = #CENTER
    \override Score.BarNumber.whiteout = #4
    \context {
      \Score
      \remove "Bar_number_engraver"
    }
    \context {
      \StaffGroup
      \consists "Bar_number_engraver"

Should a bug report be filed?

Thanks
--
Pierre-Luc Gauthier

BarNumberWhiteOut-02.png (24K) Download Attachment
BarNumberWhiteOut-01.png (34K) Download Attachment

Re: BarNumber.whiteout over StaffGroup vertical lines

Thomas Morley-2
Am Mi., 31. Okt. 2018 um 19:09 Uhr schrieb Pierre-Luc Gauthier
<[hidden email]>:

> Hi there,
>
> Not sure if this is a bug or if I am using it wrong.
>
> I've started using :
> \consists "Mark_engraver"
> \consists "Bar_number_engraver"
> , etc
> inside StaffGroups since it is now working.
> (Fixed with I think 622cab6a34 (Thanks to Dan Eble))
>
> But I get a strange and inconsistent result with whiteouts of the
> Bar_number_engraver.
> The two images I've attached to this email are from a 400+ measures
> score. Sometimes the bar number is in front of the vertical system
> line and sometimes it is behind. I have not figured out what is
> different in each case as it pops-up rather anywhere.
>
> But! I have managed (by error) to "trigger" the behavior in the
> following MWE might you {un,}comment line 4.
>
> \version "2.21.0"
>
> music = \repeat unfold 7 {c'4}
> %music = \repeat unfold 8 {c'4}
>
> \score {
>   <<
>     {s1 \break}
>     \new StaffGroup \music
>     \new StaffGroup \music
>   >>
>   \layout {
>     \override Score.BarNumber.self-alignment-X = #CENTER
>     \override Score.BarNumber.whiteout = #4
>     \context {
>       \Score
>       \remove "Bar_number_engraver"
>     }
>     \context {
>       \StaffGroup
>       \consists "Bar_number_engraver"
>     }
>   }
> }
>
> Should a bug report be filed?
>
> Thanks
> --
> Pierre-Luc Gauthier

Probably, BarNumber and SystemStartBar have the same layer. Try adding
  \override BarNumber.layer = 200
to StaffGroup-context.

Cheers,
  Harm

Re: BarNumber.whiteout over StaffGroup vertical lines

Pierre-Luc Gauthier
Hi Thomas,

I thought since the behavior could be repeatable (like in my MWE) that
it was a symptom of some other problem.
So I suppose that what LilyPond does in some repeatable situation is
to print the BarNumber first and in some other print the
SystemStartBar first.
Changing the layer does indeed the trick.
I did not find lots of documentation about layers other than :
"By default most objects are assigned a layer value of 1."
which does help :-)
Thank you very much.

--
Pierre-Luc Gauthier