Bar lines within bars inhibit bar numbering

Bar lines within bars inhibit bar numbering

ptoye
Bar lines within bars inhibit bar numbering The example below shows the issue. The mid-bar line with a \break does not show the bar number at the beginning of the next line - I would expect '2'. A \break at the end of a bar gives the expected result.

Also, the commented out line doesn't compile, and I can't see why, so can't see if it would make a difference. I cut-and-pasted the vector from the manual, but that's what the complier seems to be complaining about.

Regards,

Peter
[hidden email]
www.ptoye.com

\version "2.19.83"

\language "english"

\score {
  \new Staff {
    \clef "treble"
    \time 4/4
    {
      %\override BarNumber.break-visibility = #(#t #t #t)
      c''1 2 \bar "||" \break
      \key f \major
      f'2
      f'1 1 \break
      1 1

Re: Bar lines within bars inhibit bar numbering

Rick Kimpel-2
Peter
You need an extra #
\override BarNumber.break-visibility = ##(#t #t #t)

But that doesn't do what you're talking about. I had something similar in a piece with 4/4 + 3/4 time with a dotted barline. I ended up just manually renumbering the bars numbers with:
\set Score.currentBarNumber
Probably not the solution you're looking for.

Re: Bar lines within bars inhibit bar numbering

ptoye
Re: Bar lines within bars inhibit bar numbering Thursday, December 12, 2019, 4:39:43 PM, Rick Kimpel wrote:

Peter
You need an extra #
\override BarNumber.break-visibility = ##(#t #t #t)

So I do. Thanks. One day I'll get to grips with the tweaking syntax.

But that doesn't do what you're talking about. I had something similar in a piece with 4/4 + 3/4 time with a dotted barline. I ended up just manually renumbering the bars numbers with:
\set Score.currentBarNumber
Probably not the solution you're looking for.
Unfortunately not. I don't want to change the bar number, just print it.

Re: Bar lines within bars inhibit bar numbering

Timothy Lanfear

Adding the layout block will number partial bars in brackets.

\version "2.19.83"

\language "english"

\layout {
  \context { \Score barNumberVisibility = #all-bar-numbers-visible }

  \new Staff {
    \clef "treble"
    \time 4/4
    {
      \override BarNumber.break-visibility = ##(#t #t #t)
      c''1 2 \bar "||" \break
      \key f \major
      f'2
      f'1 1 \break
      1 1

On 12/12/2019 16:39, Rick Kimpel wrote:
Peter
You need an extra #
\override BarNumber.break-visibility = ##(#t #t #t)

But that doesn't do what you're talking about. I had something similar in a piece with 4/4 + 3/4 time with a dotted barline. I ended up just manually renumbering the bars numbers with:
\set Score.currentBarNumber
Probably not the solution you're looking for.

Timothy Lanfear, Bristol, UK.
Timothy Lanfear, Bristol, UK.

[hidden email] on behalf of Peter Toye [hidden email]
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2019 10:04 AM
To:
[hidden email] [hidden email]

Timothy Lanfear, Bristol, UK.

Re: Bar lines within bars inhibit bar numbering

ptoye
Re: Bar lines within bars inhibit bar numbering Hi Timothy,

Just done a bit more poking around. According to Internals, all-bar-numbers-visible  shows all bar numbers including the first one, but it doesn't seem to as the first bar number isn't printed (not that I want it). I also tried first-bar-number-invisible but that gave the same effect (which I'd have expected). Odd.

Best regards,

Peter
[hidden email]
www.ptoye.com

-------------------------

Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2019 10:04 AM
To:
[hidden email] [hidden email]

Timothy Lanfear, Bristol, UK.

Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2019 10:04 AM
To:
[hidden email] [hidden email]

Timothy Lanfear, Bristol, UK.
Timothy Lanfear, Bristol, UK.

Re: Bar lines within bars inhibit bar numbering

Thomas Morley-2
Am Do., 12. Dez. 2019 um 17:05 Uhr schrieb Peter Toye <[hidden email]>:

> The example below shows the issue. The mid-bar line with a \break does not show the bar number at the beginning of the next line - I would expect '2'. A \break at the end of a bar gives the expected result.
>
> Also, the commented out line doesn't compile, and I can't see why, so can't see if it would make a difference. I cut-and-pasted the vector from the manual, but that's what the complier seems to be complaining about.
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter
> mailto:[hidden email]
> www.ptoye.com
>
> \version "2.19.83"
>
> \language "english"
>
> \score {
>   \new Staff {
>     \clef "treble"
>     \time 4/4
>     {
>       %\override BarNumber.break-visibility = #(#t #t #t)

BarNumber is at Score-level.
#() is an (empty) vector in scheme. You need to tell LilyPond to
interpret this native _scheme_-expression. As usual prepend it with
another '#'. Makes for:
\override Score.BarNumber.break-visibility = ##(#f #t #t)

Alas, what you really want may be:
\set Score.barNumberVisibility = #first-bar-number-invisible-save-broken-bars

  Harm

Re: Bar lines within bars inhibit bar numbering

ptoye
Re: Bar lines within bars inhibit bar numbering Thanks Timothy,

I hadn't realised that you need to put in a dummy bar at the beginning \bar ""

Best regards,

Peter
[hidden email]
www.ptoye.com