Bar check warning

njrees
I am a new user.

I get a bar check warning from this snippet (Rogers and Hart's Have You Met Miss Jones?)

If I delete the first bar, I don't get the warning. Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?
(Do I have to represent the rest somehow?)

<<
\relative c'' {
\key f \major
   | c1 | r4 d d d |
}

\addlyrics {
  | free. | And all at |

Processing `/Users/xxxx/lily/m2.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...
/Users/xxxx/lily/m2.ly:9:10: warning: barcheck failed at: 0/0
  | free.
          | And all at |
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Solving 1 page-breaking chunks...[1: 1 pages]
Drawing systems...
Layout output to `m2.ps'...
Converting to `./m2.pdf'...
success: Compilation successfully completed

Thanks for your attention.

Re: Bar check warning

Eluze
njrees wrote
I am a new user.

I get a bar check warning from this snippet (Rogers and Hart's Have You Met Miss Jones?)

If I delete the first bar, I don't get the warning. Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?
(Do I have to represent the rest somehow?)

<<
\relative c'' {
\key f \major
   | c1 | r4 d d d |
}

\addlyrics {
  | free. | And all at |

Processing `/Users/xxxx/lily/m2.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...
/Users/xxxx/lily/m2.ly:9:10: warning: barcheck failed at: 0/0
  | free.
          | And all at |
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Solving 1 page-breaking chunks...[1: 1 pages]
Drawing systems...
Layout output to `m2.ps'...
Converting to `./m2.pdf'...
success: Compilation successfully completed

Thanks for your attention.
i don't think you need barchecks in the lyrics since the association will happen automagically with \addlyrics - \addlyrics will also recognize rests which you do not have to code in your lyric voice!

if you really want to insert manual durations with lyrics you probably should use an explicit lyric voice, e.g.:

 \new Lyrics \lyricmode {
  | free.1  | \skip4 and4 all4 at4 |
}

Eluze

Re: Bar check warning

David Kastrup
-Eluze <[hidden email]> writes:

>> <<
>> \relative c'' {
>> \key f \major
>>    | c1 | r4 d d d |
>> }
>>
>> \addlyrics {
>>   | free. | And all at |
>> }
>>>>

> i don't think you need barchecks in the lyrics since the association
> will happen automagically with \addlyrics

Huh?  You _never_ "need" a barcheck since the association with time,
score, voices etc _always_ happens automagically.

Aren't you missing the whole point of barchecks?  The idea is to have a
check for the music still being synchronized with the measures, in order
to be able to figure out where one forget or added a beat accidentally
without having to read the whole output score.

That is particularly important when using \addlyrics (I get the lyrics
timing wrong much more often at first try than I get the note timing
wrong).

> - \addlyrics will also recognize rests which you do not have to code
> in your lyric voice!
>
> if you really want to insert manual durations with lyrics you probably
> should use an explicit lyric voice, e.g.:

What makes you think he wants "to insert manual durations"?  He does
_not_, I repeat _not_ insert any manual duration in his example.  Which
illustrates a very good point.

\addlyrics should really _store_ all the barchecks, and "execute" them
_after_ associating the lyrics with a voice, once the timing is
established.

I am surprised that it doesn't, and would count that as a bug.

Re: Bar check warning

Eluze
<quote author="David Kastrup">
what an inimical reply - did you report this bug!?

Re: Bar check warning

David Kastrup
-Eluze <[hidden email]> writes:

> what an inimical reply - did you report this bug!?

The original posting contains a perfectly self-contained illustrative
example.  I don't see that I can improve on that.  Add a subject line
like "\addlyrics misinterprets barchecks", and you are set.

Re: Bar check warning

njrees
David Kastrup wrote
The original posting contains a perfectly self-contained illustrative
example.  I don't see that I can improve on that.  Add a subject line
like "\addlyrics misinterprets barchecks", and you are set.

Thanks for the feedback. I have posted it to the bugs forum