Automatic syncopated beams crossing bars?

Automatic syncopated beams crossing bars?

Is it somehow possible to tweak the automatic beaming to produce beams
that cross bar lines? I'm typesetting a piece with a syncopated rhythm
which is indicated by beaming eight notes two and two, off the beats. I
can managed to make the automatic beaming handle it within the bars, but
it refuses to produce beams across the bar lines. Did I miss something
or is this a missing feature?

Here's an example illustrating what I want and what I tried.

\version "2.19.83"

\relative c' {
\time 2/4
\tempo "Desired beaming, manually set"
\override Beam.breakable = ##t
c4. c8 [ |
\repeat unfold 12 {d ] c [ d ] c [ | }
d ] c [ d ] c |
}

\relative c' {
\time 2/4
\tempo "Failed attempt using beamExceptions"
\override Beam.breakable = ##t
\set Timing.beamExceptions = \beamExceptions { 8] 8 [ 8 ] 8 [ }
c4. c8 |
\repeat unfold 13 { d c d c | }
}

\relative c' {
\time 2/4
\tempo "Failed attempt using baseMoment, beatStructure"
\set Timing.beamExceptions = #'()
\set Timing.baseMoment = #(ly:make-moment 1/8)
   \set Timing.beatStructure = 1,2,2
c4. c8 |
\repeat unfold 13 { d c d c | }

Re: Automatic syncopated beams crossing bars?

Simon Albrecht-2
On 23.06.19 21:21, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> Is it somehow possible to tweak the automatic beaming to produce beams
> that cross bar lines?

I’m quite sure that’s beyond the current auto-beaming algorithm. What
I’d suggest is relaying the beams to a music expression of their own:

\context Voice <<
   \relative c' {
     \time 2/4
     \tempo "Desired beaming, externalised into separate music expression"
     c4. c8 |
     \repeat unfold 13 { d c d c | }
     \override Beam.breakable = ##t
     s4. s8[
     \repeat unfold 12 { s] s[ s] s[ }
     s] s[ s]
   }

That’s at least more convenient for working with the code.

Best, Simon