Automatic lengthening of Lyrics extenders

Automatic lengthening of Lyrics extenders

Michael Gerdau
Dear lilyponders,

in vocal music especially multipart music lyrics extenders do greatly enhance readability how stuff is sung. Especially for long notes extenders come in handy - so far this is probably well established and not exactly new :)

This all works reasonably good for tied and slurred music. However when there is a long note (e.g. full, or breve or such) the current situation leaves room for improvement (to my knowledge).

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

  \new Staff { c''1 c2. c2. c1. }
  \addlyrics { bla __ bla __ bla __ bla __ }
  \new Staff { c''8( c'' c'' c'' c'' c'' c'' c'')
 c''8( c'' c'' c'' c'' c'')}
  \addlyrics { bla __ bla __ bla __ bla __ }

}
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

--
Michael Gerdau email: [hidden email]

Re: Automatic lengthening of Lyrics extenders

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Michael,

> However when there is a long note (e.g. full, or breve or such) the current situation leaves room for improvement (to my knowledge).

For untied notes (like single whole notes), the convention is not to have extenders.

If you want to break with convention, I suggest using a separate voice to control extenders, e.g.:

    \new Staff <<
      { c''1 2. 2. 1. }
      \new NullVoice = "extenders" { c''8( 8 8 8 8 8 8 8) c8( 8 8 8 8 8) }
      \new Lyrics \lyricsto "extenders" { bla __ bla __ bla __ bla __ }

    \new Staff { c''8( c'' c'' c'' c'' c'' c'' c'') c''8( c'' c'' c'' c'' c'') }
    \addlyrics { bla __ bla __ bla __ bla __ }

}

Hope that helps!
Kieren.

Re: Automatic lengthening of Lyrics extenders

Michael Gerdau
Hi Kieren,

thank you for this idea.

I’m aware of the convention but IMO at times it’s just not helpful so indeed I wish to ignore it occasionally.

While it is not the looked for automatic solution, it clearly solves my problem. And may be I’ll finally get around to work on my scheme to further automate this.

Kind regards
Michael

Mobil gesendet

Re: Automatic lengthening of Lyrics extenders

David Wright
On Thu 21 Feb 2019 at 16:40:22 (-0500), Kieren MacMillan wrote:

> > However when there is a long note (e.g. full, or breve or such) the current situation leaves room for improvement (to my knowledge).
>
> For untied notes (like single whole notes), the convention is not to have extenders.

It does depend on the genre. In barbershop, it's quite usual to print
extenders on single notes, and they're frequent because of the style:
<<
We love to sing like this, sing like this
We love to sing like this________________

The problem of anchoring is recognised for dynamics, and fixed
by using empty chords as attachments. But AFAIK there's no
equivalent for lyrics because they don't attach to empty chords.
I think it's a real lack.

Some people suggest hidden notes, but that messes up the midi.
NullVoice works well, but requires a fair amount of work, and you
end up with another voice to keep synchronised when editing.
I tried the aftergrace method mentioned here last year, but the
extenders seem to end up too long compared with those around them.
(And again the midi is affected.)

Cheers,
David.