Appoggiatura before barline

Urs Liska-3
Is there any convenient and semantically acceptable way of engraving an
appoggiatura (or other grace notes) *before* the barline? I know that
usually one is pointed to \afterGrace to achieve something like that but
that seems semantically problematic. I produced the attached image using
a bunch of extra-offset overrides and a drastic \shape - which is
inconvenient.

Thanks for any ideas.
Urs

1756_206_1.png (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Appoggiatura before barline

Thomas Morley-2
Am Fr., 18. Jan. 2019 um 19:14 Uhr schrieb Urs Liska <[hidden email]>:

> Is there any convenient and semantically acceptable way of engraving an
> appoggiatura (or other grace notes) *before* the barline? I know that
> usually one is pointed to \afterGrace to achieve something like that but
> that seems semantically problematic. I produced the attached image using
> a bunch of extra-offset overrides and a drastic \shape - which is
> inconvenient.
>
> Thanks for any ideas.
> Urs

Hi Urs,

you could try to use David K's cheat:

{
  R1
  %% default
  \appoggiatura d''8 c''4 r2.
  %% cheated
  \appoggiatura { \bar "" d''8 \bar "|" } c''4 r2.
}

It has it's own drawbacks, though.

Cheers,
  Harm

Re: Appoggiatura before barline

Andrew Bernard
Hi Harm,

I have been using this heavily thanks to David K for a very long time. Although it may be a cheat, it works just fine. I see no drawbacks. What is the downside here?

Andrew

On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 at 07:15, Thomas Morley <[hidden email]> wrote:

you could try to use David K's cheat:

{
  R1
  %% default
  \appoggiatura d''8 c''4 r2.
  %% cheated
  \appoggiatura { \bar "" d''8 \bar "|" } c''4 r2.
}

It has it's own drawbacks, though.

Re: Appoggiatura before barline

Andrew Bernard
I should add that this works for grace notes also, which is actually what I use the technique for.

Andrew

Re: Appoggiatura before barline

Thomas Morley-2
Am Sa., 19. Jan. 2019 um 02:03 Uhr schrieb Andrew Bernard
<[hidden email]>:

> Hi Harm,
>
> I have been using this heavily thanks to David K for a very long time. Although it may be a cheat, it works just fine. I see no drawbacks. What is the downside here?

Hi Andrew,

Spacing is a little off. The R1 is not really centered:

  {
    R1
    \appoggiatura { \bar "" d''8 \bar "|" } c''4 r2.
  }
That's what I remember directly, not sure whether there is more.

Cheers,
  Harm

> Andrew
>

> On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 at 07:15, Thomas Morley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> you could try to use David K's cheat:
>>
>> {
>>   R1
>>   %% default
>>   \appoggiatura d''8 c''4 r2.
>>   %% cheated
>>   \appoggiatura { \bar "" d''8 \bar "|" } c''4 r2.
>> }
>>
>> It has it's own drawbacks, though.

Re: Appoggiatura before barline

Andrew Bernard
Hi Harm,

Thanks. I tend to adjust rest positions manually anyway, so that's not an issue for me personally. With a bar full of notes it also usually looks pretty good.

Andrew

On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 at 12:20, Thomas Morley <[hidden email]> wrote:

Spacing is a little off. The R1 is not really centered:

Re: Appoggiatura before barline

Valentin Villenave-3
On 1/18/19, Thomas Morley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> you could try to use David K's cheat:

Neat! I’ve added it to the LSR, and also tagged it as doc:
http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=1083

V.

Re: Appoggiatura before barline

Urs Liska-3

Hi Harm,

thank you for pointing me to that (and actually now I recall having seen this hack some day).

Am 18.01.19 um 21:14 schrieb Thomas Morley:
[...]

I can confirm both that it works and that it isn't perfect yet. As you can see in the attachedimage the spacing around the barline is much looser than between the other appoggiaturas. However, as this approach can conveniently be wrapped in a function

preBarAppoggiatura =
#(define-music-function (content)(ly:music?)
   #{
     \appoggiatura { \bar "" #content \bar "|" }
   #})

I'm confident that I can create a fix that is transparent in the input file - if the client should request better spacing at all.

Thanks
Urs

Cheers,
  Harm