Appearance of S-curves

Thomas Morley-2
Hi,

currently we print beziers for slurs, ties, etc as a bezier-sandwich,
where second and third control-point of the second bezier is the same
amount apart from the ones from first bezier's control-points.
This is fine for the all usual cases.
Though, is it ok for S-curves as well?
Attached an image with default behaviour and "crossing" bezier-curves.

I'm undecided which I'd prefer.
Opinions?

Thanks,
  Harm

s-curve-design.png (58K) Download Attachment

Re: Appearance of S-curves

Simon Albrecht-2
Hi,

I find the second one with crossing beziers mich more pleasant, but I'm sure the question is easily settled by looking at any good hand-engraved example (I'm travelling right now and don't have any at hand, sorry).

Best, Simon

> On 26.04.2019 - 13:10, Thomas Morley wrote:
>

> Hi,
>
> currently we print beziers for slurs, ties, etc as a bezier-sandwich,
> where second and third control-point of the second bezier is the same
> amount apart from the ones from first bezier's control-points.
> This is fine for the all usual cases.
> Though, is it ok for S-curves as well?
> Attached an image with default behaviour and "crossing" bezier-curves.
>
> I'm undecided which I'd prefer.
> Opinions?
>
> Thanks,
> Harm

Re: Appearance of S-curves

David Kastrup
Simon Albrecht <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I find the second one with crossing beziers mich more pleasant, but
> I'm sure the question is easily settled by looking at any good
> hand-engraved example (I'm travelling right now and don't have any at
> hand, sorry).

I think the usual hand-engraved version would be done with an oval
stencil so the curve should be thinner in the middle for the particular
case of a symmetric steep S.  Bezier sandwiches are a reasonably working
approximation of this kind of turning action for single-segment slurs.
I am not sure that multi-segment slurs map as well to them.