Ancient template + MIDI = Percussion??

Linda Cantoni
I'm using Lilypond 2.6.4 (Windows XP native).  Using the ancient notation
template (Section 3.5.1 of the manual) as a guide, I reproduced a six-voice
version of "Sumer is icumen in."  The parts are marked Cantus I through IV
and Bassus I and II.  Except for a neomensural-style time signature symbol,
the notation is actually modern, in 3/2 time, and there is no incipit.  I
did not specify a MIDI instrument, assuming it would default to acoustic
grand.  But when I played the MIDI file, it came out as a variety of
percussion instruments.  I've tried forcing the default piano voice by
placing \set Staff.midiInstrument = "acoustic grand" variously in the global
block, in each of the six notes blocks, and in the score block, but no
matter what I do the MIDI always comes out as percussion.  (I initially had
a Staff.instrument for each notes block, but I replaced those with plain old
text markup in hopes of solving this problem.  It didn't work.)

Here's my code (minus the actual notes & lyrics for brevity's sake):

\version "2.6.4"
\include "english.ly"

\header {
  title = "\"SUMER IS ICUMEN IN.\""
}

global = {
  \key f \major
  \override Staff.TimeSignature #'style = #'neomensural
  \time 3/2
  \override Score.SeparationItem #'padding = #1.5
}

cantusiNotes = \relative c'' {
  \clef "treble"
  ...notes...
  }

cantusiLyrics = \lyricmode {
...lyrics...
}

cantusiLyricsTwo = \lyricmode {
...lyrics...
}

cantusiiNotes = \relative c'' {
  \clef "treble"
...notes...
}

cantusiiLyrics = \lyricmode {
...lyrics...
}

cantusiiLyricsTwo = \lyricmode {
...lyrics...
}

cantusiiiNotes = \relative c'' {
  \clef "treble"
...notes...
}

cantusiiiLyrics = \lyricmode {
...lyrics...
}

cantusiiiLyricsTwo = \lyricmode {
..lyrics...
}

cantusivNotes = \relative c'' {
  \clef "treble"
...notes...
}

cantusivLyrics = \lyricmode {
...lyrics...
}

cantusivLyricsTwo = \lyricmode {
...lyrics...
}

bassusiNotes = \relative c {
  \clef "bass"
...notes...
}

bassusiLyrics = \lyricmode {
...lyrics...
}

bassusiiNotes = \relative c {
  \clef "bass"
...notes...
}

bassusiiLyrics = \lyricmode {
...lyrics...

  \context StaffGroup = choirStaff <<

    \context Voice =
      cantusiNotes << \global \cantusiNotes  >>
    \context Lyrics =
      cantusiLyrics \lyricsto cantusiNotes { \cantusiLyrics }
    \context Lyrics =
      cantusiLyricsTwo \lyricsto cantusiNotes { \cantusiLyricsTwo }

    \context Voice =
      cantusiiNotes << \global \cantusiiNotes >>
    \context Lyrics =
      cantusiiLyrics \lyricsto cantusiiNotes { \cantusiiLyrics }
    \context Lyrics =
      cantusiiLyricsTwo \lyricsto cantusiiNotes { \cantusiiLyricsTwo }

    \context Voice =
      cantusiiiNotes << \global \cantusiiiNotes >>
    \context Lyrics =
      cantusiiiLyrics \lyricsto cantusiiiNotes { \cantusiiiLyrics }
    \context Lyrics =
      cantusiiiLyricsTwo \lyricsto cantusiiiNotes { \cantusiiiLyricsTwo }

    \context Voice =
      cantusivNotes << \global \cantusivNotes >>
    \context Lyrics =
      cantusivLyrics \lyricsto cantusivNotes { \cantusivLyrics }
    \context Lyrics =
      cantusivLyricsTwo \lyricsto cantusivNotes { \cantusivLyricsTwo }

    \context Voice =
      bassusiNotes << \global \bassusiNotes >>
    \context Lyrics =
      bassusiLyrics \lyricsto bassusiNotes { \bassusiLyrics }

    \context Voice =
      bassusiiNotes << \global \bassusiiNotes >>
    \context Lyrics =
      bassusiiLyrics \lyricsto bassusiiNotes { \bassusiiLyrics }

  \layout {
    indent = 0.0\cm
  }
  \midi { \tempo 2 = 120 }

Re: Ancient template + MIDI = Percussion??

David Rogers-6

Linda - the reason you got modern notation with a neomensural time
signature was that that was all your score asked for. To get better
ancient-style notation, you need to actually copy and paste the
entire ungainly mass of details from the manual into your blank
score, starting from the word " \version " and going all the way down
to the last " } ", right before the image of the music. Then
substitute your own notes and lyrics into the template score. In
other words, the template is already as simple as possible, and if
you simplify it further you won't get what you want.

Regarding the percussion notes in midi problem - I have no idea. :-(

David