Already have music in score

Andrew Black-2
Hi
The example below is producing error message "Already have music in
score".  Any suggestions to what is wrong .

GNU LilyPond 2.4.2
Processing `silentNoonWords.ly'
Parsing...

error: Already have music in score

error: This is the previous music
warning: Need music in a score
============================

bassMusic = \relative c {
   c4 c c c

   }

bassLyrics = \lyrics { etc  etc etc }

\score {

    \context Voice = bassVoice {
       \clef "G_8"
       \bassMusic
    }
   \context Lyrics = bassusLyrics \lyricsto bassVoice { \bassLyrics }

Re: Already have music in score

Donald Axel
On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 15:53:53 +0100
andrew wrote:

>  Any suggestions to what is wrong .

I use to collate with a source which is known to work. I look
forward to reading the entire section on scores in the manual.
I need more templates, but it is possible to produce nice templaces
from the newer Mutopia sources.

Here I have added << and >> after score { and appropriately before
ending the block. This works:

bassMusic = {
   c4 d f e
}

bassLyrics = \lyrics { etc  etc etc }

\score  {
   <<
      \context Voice = bassVoice {
         \clef "G_8"
         \bassMusic
      }
     \context Lyrics = bassusLyrics \lyricsto bassVoice { \bassLyrics }

dax2-tele2adsl:dk -- http://d-axel.dk/  Donald Axel

Re: Already have music in score

In addition to the previous answer which of course is what you are
looking for:

You have to tell LilyPond if the Voice and the Lyrics contexts should
happen simultaneously or in a sequence. This answer may sound completely
crazy, since you use \lyricsto to specify that the lyrics should be
attached to the music. However, if you instead consider an example where
you have

someMusic = \relative c' {
   c4 c c c
   }

someOtherMusic = \relative c' {
   e4 e e e
   }

then

\score{
   { \new Voice {\someMusic}
   \new Voice {\someOtherMusic}
will tell LilyPond to typeset the two sections after each other, whereas

\score{
   <<
   \new Voice {\someMusic}
   \new Voice {\someOtherMusic}

}
will tell LilyPOnd to typeset them simultaneously.
For this reason, it is not even permitted in the syntax to have
\score{
   some music expression
   some other music expression
}
The only thing permitted in the syntax is
\score{
   one music expression
   \layout{...} % optional
   \midi{...}  % optional
   \header{...} % optional
}
where the music expression is one of the following:
- A single note
- A sequence of music expressions: {...}
- A number of simultaneous music expressions: <<...>>
- One of the above together with an explicit statement telling what
   type of "context" should be created. For example:
   \new StaffGroup << ... >>
   or
   \new Staff {...}
   or whatever.

    /Mats

andrew Black wrote:

> Hi
> The example below is producing error message "Already have music in
> score".  Any suggestions to what is wrong .
>

> GNU LilyPond 2.4.2
> Processing `silentNoonWords.ly'
> Parsing...
>
> error: Already have music in score
>
> error: This is the previous music
> warning: Need music in a score
> ============================
>
> bassMusic = \relative c {
>   c4 c c c
>
>   }
>
> bassLyrics = \lyrics { etc  etc etc }
>
> \score     {
>
>    \context Voice = bassVoice {
>       \clef "G_8"
>       \bassMusic
>    }
>   \context Lyrics = bassusLyrics \lyricsto bassVoice { \bassLyrics }

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology