Alignment problem

Giampaolo Orrigo
Hi,

trying to type an organ piece.
Here the original code:

Tiple = \relative c'' {
  \global
  % Music follows here.
  \showStaffSwitch
  d'2. c4 b a g2~ g g c2. b4 a g f2 a1 bf2. a4
}

Alto = \relative c'' {
  \global
  % Music follows here.
  \showStaffSwitch
  b a g2 d' g~ g4 f e d c1 c2. b4 \change Staff=down \stemUp a g f e d2 \change Staff=up \stemDown d'4 c
}

Tenor = \relative c' {
  \global
  % Music follows here.
  \showStaffSwitch
  g g g a a a g
}

Baxo = \relative c {
  \global
  % Music follows here.
  \showStaffSwitch
  g\rest g'2. f4 e4 d c b a g f2 f'1 f4 e d c bf a g2~
}

When compiling I get the attached Capture1.jpg. The command

\override NoteColumn.force-hshift = #-0.7

Has no effect neither on the Alto nor on the Tenor.

How can I correct the alignment of the notes?

Thanks!

Geppo

Capture1.JPG (23K) Download Attachment

Re: Alignment problem

Trevor Daniels

Hi Geppo

You'd be more likely to get a reply if you posted an
immediately compilable example showing the problem.

Trevor

Re: Alignment problem

Giampaolo Orrigo
Trevor,

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't want to overflow the email with code, but I see your point.

Here the compilable example:

\version "2.18.2"
\language "english"

\paper {
  #(set-paper-size "letter")
}

global = {
  \key c \major
  \time 2/2
}

Tiple = \relative c'' {
  \global
  % Music follows here.
  \showStaffSwitch
  d2. c4 b a g2~ g g c2. b4 a g f2 a1 bf2. a4
}

Alto = \relative c'' {
  \global
  % Music follows here.
  \showStaffSwitch
  b, a g2 d' g~ g4 f e d c1 c2. b4 \change Staff=down \stemUp a g f e d2 \change Staff=up \stemDown d'4 c
}

Tenor = \relative c' {
  \global
  % Music follows here.
  \showStaffSwitch
  g1 g g a a a g
}

Baxo = \relative c {
  \global
  % Music follows here.
  \showStaffSwitch
  g1\rest g'2. f4 e4 d c b a g f2 f'1 f4 e d c bf a g2~

  \new PianoStaff \with {
    instrumentName = "Organ"
  } <<
    \new Staff = "up" \with {
    } << \Tiple \\ \Alto >>
    \new Staff = "down" \with {
    } { \clef bass << \Tenor \\ \Baxo >> }

  \layout { }
}

And here the result:
Inline image 1

As you all can see, at staff 6 and 7 Tenor and Alto overlap. I tried to insert \override NoteColumn.force-hshift = #n with various n's both to the Alto and the Tenor but it has no effect whatsoever.

Thanks for the help!

Geppo
On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 12:35 PM, Trevor Daniels <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Geppo

You'd be more likely to get a reply if you posted an
immediately compilable example showing the problem.

Trevor

Re: Alignment problem

Giampaolo Orrigo
Thanks! That solved the problem perfectly!

Geppo

On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 4:28 PM, Trevor Daniels <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks, it's so much easier to help when we have
an immediately accessible working code to play with.

For most of this extract only two voices are needed in
the treble clef and two in the bass clef, i.e. voices
one and two in the treble and also voices one and two
in the bass.  This is fine until you switch clefs in
bar 6: then when you set the stem to be up you have two
notes with stems up (voiceOne), but with different durations.
Not good.

Here you need a third voice if you want the
stems in the direction indicated, like this:

Alto = \relative c'' {
  \global
  % Music follows here.
  \showStaffSwitch
  b, a g2 d' g~ g4 f e d c1 c2. b4
  \change Staff=down \voiceThree
  \once \override NoteColumn.force-hshift = 1.5
  a g f e d2
  \change Staff=up \voiceTwo
  d'4 c
}
You'll then find you can adjust the positioning using
force-hshift on any note and with any value to suit your
preference.  Perhaps like this:

Alto = \relative c'' {
  \global
  % Music follows here.
  \showStaffSwitch
  b, a g2 d' g~ g4 f e d c1 c2. b4
  \change Staff=down \voiceThree
  \once \override NoteColumn.force-hshift = 1.5
  a g f e d2
\change Staff=up \voiceTwo d'4 c
}
Baxo = \relative c {
  \global
  % Music follows here.
  \showStaffSwitch
  g1\rest g'2. f4 e4 d c b a g f2 f'1
  \once \override NoteColumn.force-hshift = 1.5
  f4 e d c bf a g2~
}
NB Always avoid fiddling with the stem direction using
\stemUp and \stemDown.  If you feel the need to use these
you almost certainly should be thinking of changing the
voice instead.