Aiken note heads: Are there thin variants with more interior white space for whole and half notes?

Aiken note heads: Are there thin variants with more interior white space for whole and half notes?

Karlin High
A songwriter asked me to type up some of her compositions. Much of the
intended audience is in communities that have standardized on Aiken-head
notes for most of the past century, and use little else. LilyPond has
those shapes, no problem, I thought. But her benchmark is a certain
publishing house that uses Finale with a customized font, example at
this link:

http://www.prairieviewpress.com/images/pdfs/Kneel_At_The_Cross.pdf

I've been able to accommodate several of her requests for appearance
changes. But for her taste, the LilyPond 2.19.59 whole and half notes
have too little white space on the note head interiors. Apparently I'm
working under the expectation that unfilled shaped-note heads be drawn
with a thin, uniform line instead of horizontal lines being heavier. I
got closer to her ideal by increasing NoteHead.font-size but expect it's
possible to do more. Such as fiddling with MetaFont sources, if need be.
Before digging in at that level, I did some Googling and found that
topics like this have been discussed in the past...

https://code.google.com/archive/p/lilypond/issues/602

...and the 2.19 change log also metions something:

"Improved visual spacing of small and regular ‘MI’ Funk and Walker
noteheads so they are now the same width as other shaped notes in their
respective sets. SOL noteheads are also now visually improved when used
with both the normal Aiken and Sacred Harp heads, as well as with the
thin variants."
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/changes/index

"Thin variants!" I keep seeing that term. What are they, and how would I
access them? Maybe I don't need to head for the new-to-me frontiers of
MetaFont after all.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA

Re: Aiken note heads: Are there thin variants with more interior white space for whole and half notes?

tisimst
Hi, Karlin!

First off, congrats! Hope this all works out for you.

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 2:22 PM, Karlin High [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Try using this:

aikenHeadsThin = \set shapeNoteStyles = ##(doThin reThin miThin faThin sol laThin tiThin)

And then calling it with \aikenHeadsThin.

HTH,
Abraham

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 3:38 PM Karlin High <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 6/12/2017 3:57 PM, tisimst wrote:
> Try using this:
>
> aikenHeadsThin = \set shapeNoteStyles = ##(doThin reThin miThin faThin
> sol laThin tiThin)
>
> And then calling it with \aikenHeadsThin.
>
> HTH,
> Abraham

That looks very, very promising! Thank you, Abraham.

Is musictypefoundry.com your place? I might have to buy one of your
fonts for this. If they have Aiken heads, that is. :)

Yes, it is! Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to include shape-notes yet in any of them yet. Sorry.

Best,
Abraham