Adjusting slurs and brackets

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Adjusting slurs and brackets

Heimdall Midgard
I'm having trouble understanding the documentation on slurs and
brackets. I guess I'm one of those people who understand examples
better than detailed description.

So, could someone please give me a code snippet on how to raise or
lower the vertical placement of a slur relative to the notes (or if
possible, relative to the fingering, which it collides with).

Also, I need to see code on how to adjust the placement and height of
the curly bracket at the left of, say, a piano score. I need to know
the following:

(a) How to move the bracket so it doesn't collide with the instrument
name. Or vice versa: how to move the instrument name so it doesn't
collide with the bracket. In ascii art the problem appears like this:

pia{no

I want it to appear with generous spacing like this:

piano   {

(b) How to reduce the height of the bracket so it doesn't collide with
the  bar (measure) number at the top left of the treble staff.

TIA

--
Albert Einstein: Phantasie ist wichtiger als Wissen, denn Wissen ist begrenzt.


_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adjusting slurs and brackets

Gilles Sadowski
Hi.

[You didn't specify which version of LilyPond you use.]

>
> So, could someone please give me a code snippet on how to raise or
> lower the vertical placement of a slur relative to the notes (or if
> possible, relative to the fingering, which it collides with).
>

You can try playing with:

  \override Score.Slur #'height-limit = #4.5

or/and

  \override Script #'padding = #1.5


[For more control, I'll leave it to the experts...]


> Also, I need to see code on how to adjust the placement and height of
> the curly bracket at the left of, say, a piano score. I need to know
> the following:
>
> (a) How to move the bracket so it doesn't collide with the instrument
> name. Or vice versa: how to move the instrument name so it doesn't
> collide with the bracket. In ascii art the problem appears like this:
>
> pia{no
>

I think that this is a bug (at least in 2.6.3 which I use) due to the
brace being too big. I've read it's solved in later versions.

> I want it to appear with generous spacing like this:
>
> piano   {
>

In 2.4.5, you could add litteral space characters after the instrument
name:

  \set Staff.instrument = "Piano    "

But this doesn't work anymore (in 2.6.3).  So I have to do this:

  \set Staff.instrument = \markup{ "Piano" \hspace #2 }

> (b) How to reduce the height of the bracket so it doesn't collide with
> the  bar (measure) number at the top left of the treble staff.
>

This was a problem in 2.4.5, but in 2.6.3, I don't need any tweaking for
the bar number not to collide with the brace.


Best,
Gillles


_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adjusting slurs and brackets

Heimdall Midgard
2005/12/19, Gilles <[hidden email]>:
> Hi.
>
> [You didn't specify which version of LilyPond you use.]

I'm using 2.6.3 (I'd already pressed send when I realized
my grievous omission).

> > So, could someone please give me a code snippet on how
> > to raise or lower the vertical placement of a slur
> > relative to the notes (or if possible, relative to the
> > fingering, which it collides with).
>
> You can try playing with:
>
>   \override Score.Slur #'height-limit = #4.5
>
> or/and
>
>   \override Script #'padding = #1.5

Neither appears to work, at least the way I used it in the
following code fragment (I hope I didn't omit anything
essential). I used deliberately small and large values to
exagerrate any side-effect the overrides might have (none).

upper = \relative c' {
  \time 4/4
  \key c \major
  \clef treble
  \override Score.SeparationItem #'padding = #1.0
  \override Score.Slur #'height-limit = #-20
  \override Script #'padding = #100.5
  \phrasingSlurUp
  c4-1\( d-2 e-3 f-4
  g4-5 e4-3 c2-1\)

[Etc]

> > Also, I need to see code on how to adjust the placement
> > and height of the curly bracket at the left of, say, a
> > piano score. I need to know the following:
> >
> > (a) How to move the bracket so it doesn't collide with
> > the instrument name. Or vice versa: how to move the
> > instrument name so it doesn't collide with the
> > bracket. In ascii art the problem appears like this:
> >
> > pia{no
>
> I think that this is a bug (at least in 2.6.3 which I use)
> due to the brace being too big. I've read it's solved in
> later versions.
>
> > I want it to appear with generous spacing like this:
> >
> > piano   {
> >
>
> In 2.4.5, you could add litteral space characters after
> the instrument name:
>
>   \set Staff.instrument = "Piano    "
>
> But this doesn't work anymore (in 2.6.3).  So I have to do
> this:
>
>   \set Staff.instrument = \markup{ "Piano" \hspace #2 }

This works.

> > (b) How to reduce the height of the bracket so it
> > doesn't collide with the bar (measure) number at the top
> > left of the treble staff.
> >
>
> This was a problem in 2.4.5, but in 2.6.3, I don't need
> any tweaking for the bar number not to collide with the
> brace.

It's still a problem for me. But I now see it too is related
to the bug you mentioned ("brace being too big").

--
Albert Einstein: Phantasie ist wichtiger als Wissen, denn
Wissen ist begrenzt.


_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adjusting slurs and brackets

Mats Bengtsson-6


Heimdall Midgard wrote:

>2005/12/19, Gilles <[hidden email]>:
>  
>
>>>So, could someone please give me a code snippet on how
>>>to raise or lower the vertical placement of a slur
>>>relative to the notes (or if possible, relative to the
>>>fingering, which it collides with).
>>>      
>>>
>>You can try playing with:
>>
>>  \override Score.Slur #'height-limit = #4.5
>>
>>or/and
>>
>>  \override Script #'padding = #1.5
>>    
>>
>
>Neither appears to work, at least the way I used it in the
>following code fragment (I hope I didn't omit anything
>essential). I used deliberately small and large values to
>exagerrate any side-effect the overrides might have (none).
>
>upper = \relative c' {
>  \time 4/4
>  \key c \major
>  \clef treble
>  \override Score.SeparationItem #'padding = #1.0
>  \override Score.Slur #'height-limit = #-20
>  \override Script #'padding = #100.5
>  \phrasingSlurUp
>  c4-1\( d-2 e-3 f-4
>  g4-5 e4-3 c2-1\)
>  
>

Since you use phrasing slurs instead of ordinary slurs, you have to use

\override Score.PhrasingSlur #'height-limit = ...

to control it. Similarly, to control a fingering, you should set the
property
on the Fingering object, not on the Script object:

\override Fingering #'padding = #10.0


   /Mats


_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adjusting slurs and brackets

Heimdall Midgard
2005/12/19, Mats Bengtsson <[hidden email]>:

>
> Heimdall Midgard wrote:
>
> >2005/12/19, Gilles <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > > >So, could someone please give me a code snippet on
> > > >how to raise or lower the vertical placement of a
> > > >slur relative to the notes (or if possible, relative
> > > >to the fingering, which it collides with).
> > > >
> > >You can try playing with:
> > >
> > >  \override Score.Slur #'height-limit = #4.5
> > >
> > >or/and
> > >
> > >  \override Script #'padding = #1.5
> > >
> >Neither appears to work, at least the way I used it in
> >the following code fragment (I hope I didn't omit
> >anything essential). I used deliberately small and large
> >values to exagerrate any side-effect the overrides might
> >have (none).
> >
> >upper = \relative c' {
> >  \time 4/4
> >  \key c \major
> >  \clef treble
> >  \override Score.SeparationItem #'padding = #1.0
> >  \override Score.Slur #'height-limit = #-20
> >  \override Script #'padding = #100.5
> >  \phrasingSlurUp
> >  c4-1\( d-2 e-3 f-4
> >  g4-5 e4-3 c2-1\)
> >
> Since you use phrasing slurs instead of ordinary slurs,
> you have to use
>
> \override Score.PhrasingSlur #'height-limit = ...

This has an effect, but not exactly the one I want in the
above case. Large values (+10) increase the curve. What I
want is to flatten the curve and raise its two end
points. As it is, with #'height-limit = #50, I get a
dome-like curve that extends all the way down to the
notehead (the two C's one line below the treble staff).

The curve of the phrasing slur practically disappears with
#'height-limit = #0 (it becomes nearly flat). But I see no
difference in slope between #'height-limit = #1 and
#'height-limit = #4.

Is there a way to arbitrarily raise the end points of the
curve as well?

> Similarly, to control a fingering, you should set the
> property on the Fingering object, not on the Script
> object:
>
> \override Fingering #'padding = #10.0

This works and could be a way of solving the collision
problem. However, a flatter curve would enable me to raise
or lower the fingering numbers uniformly rather than attempt
to achieve a fancy staircase effect to dodge the curve
(ASCII graphic):

    3 4 5
  2       3
1           1

--
Albert Einstein: Phantasie ist wichtiger als Wissen, denn
Wissen ist begrenzt.


_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user