Adding a new instrument

Tobias
Hi,

[1] lists the instruments avaiable that can be used for the
midiInstrument property. Unfortunately the instrument I'm looking for (a
zabumba) isn't listed there.

Is it possible to add a new instrument? What are the necessary steps to
do so? I'm not familiar with this topic and would be glad if someone
could point me in the right direction.

Best regards and thank you for lilypond!
Tobias

[1]
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/midi-instruments.html

Re: Adding a new instrument

Caio Barros
Em seg., 18 de mai. de 2020 às 15:49, Tobias <[hidden email]> escreveu:
Is it possible to add a new instrument? What are the necessary steps to
do so?

Hey, Tobias. I think those are just names that map to General Midi [1] instruments. On the back-end it is just assigning a number to identify which instrument you choose so that in a software or hardware using the General Midi specification you would _more or less_ know which instrument you will hear. I say more or less because even if instrument #1 is "Acoustic Grand Piano" depending on your midi device and "Acoustic Grand Piano" will sound waaay different depending on the sample sounds. MIDI is just a pianola roll, the actual sound you will hear depends on the pianola.

That said, what I would do if I was you is just to choose a percussion instrument (e.g. "taiko drum") and then using a midi software to map this to the zabumba sound you want, provided you have that sample.

Re: Adding a new instrument

Tobias
Hi Caio,

thank your for answer. I think I have a better idea now where to look
and what to try next. Thanks for pointing me into this direction -

Best regards
Tobias