Access to push new branch to origin

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Access to push new branch to origin

Owen Lamb
Hi all,

I think I've got branching figured out. I pulled the latest changes from
origin/master to my machine's master, then created a new dev/lamb/GSoC-2020
branch from there.

It seems I need permission to push this new branch to origin and make it
publicly visible. Provided I understand this correctly so far, may I have
permission to push to the repository? My username on GitLab is WolfGangsta
(a shameless pun for which I have no regrets).

Thanks,
Owen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Access to push new branch to origin

Dev mailing list
Hi Owen,

I can grant you access to the repository later today if needed.
However I'd first like to understand (probably from Werner) what makes
a branch in the upstream repository more "preserving" than a public
clone. Being distributed it really doesn't make much difference from
the git perspective.

Jonas

Am Freitag, den 22.05.2020, 17:50 -0700 schrieb Owen Lamb:

> Hi all,
>
> I think I've got branching figured out. I pulled the latest changes from
> origin/master to my machine's master, then created a new dev/lamb/GSoC-2020
> branch from there.
>
> It seems I need permission to push this new branch to origin and make it
> publicly visible. Provided I understand this correctly so far, may I have
> permission to push to the repository? My username on GitLab is WolfGangsta
> (a shameless pun for which I have no regrets).
>
> Thanks,
> Owen

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Access to push new branch to origin

Werner LEMBERG

> I can grant you access to the repository later today if needed.
> However I'd first like to understand (probably from Werner) what
> makes a branch in the upstream repository more "preserving" than a
> public clone.  Being distributed it really doesn't make much
> difference from the git perspective.

IMO, code for a LilyPond GSoC project should become an integral part
of the master git repository.  I think it should be freezed in its
final form (this is, right after GSoC ends) for documentation
purposes.  If the stuff gets merged, the branch should still stay and
not be deleted.

Note that this is my personal point of view, and I don't insist on it.
On the other hand: if you see problems with that approach please
elaborate.


    Werner

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Access to push new branch to origin

Urs Liska-3


Am 23. Mai 2020 15:01:11 MESZ schrieb Werner LEMBERG <[hidden email]>:

>
>> I can grant you access to the repository later today if needed.
>> However I'd first like to understand (probably from Werner) what
>> makes a branch in the upstream repository more "preserving" than a
>> public clone.  Being distributed it really doesn't make much
>> difference from the git perspective.
>
>IMO, code for a LilyPond GSoC project should become an integral part
>of the master git repository.  I think it should be freezed in its
>final form (this is, right after GSoC ends) for documentation
>purposes.  If the stuff gets merged, the branch should still stay and
>not be deleted.
>
>Note that this is my personal point of view, and I don't insist on it.
>On the other hand: if you see problems with that approach please
>elaborate.

I would second that a student who has been accepted to GSoC should be considered part of the team and grantwd push access, as long as there are regulations preventing them from accidentally pushing to master.

Urs

>
>
>    Werner

--
Diese Nachricht wurde von meinem Android-Gerät mit K-9 Mail gesendet.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Access to push new branch to origin

Dev mailing list
Am Samstag, den 23.05.2020, 16:38 +0200 schrieb Urs Liska:

> Am 23. Mai 2020 15:01:11 MESZ schrieb Werner LEMBERG <[hidden email]>:
> > > I can grant you access to the repository later today if needed.
> > > However I'd first like to understand (probably from Werner) what
> > > makes a branch in the upstream repository more "preserving" than a
> > > public clone.  Being distributed it really doesn't make much
> > > difference from the git perspective.
> >
> > IMO, code for a LilyPond GSoC project should become an integral part
> > of the master git repository.  I think it should be freezed in its
> > final form (this is, right after GSoC ends) for documentation
> > purposes.  If the stuff gets merged, the branch should still stay and
> > not be deleted.
> >
> > Note that this is my personal point of view, and I don't insist on it.
> > On the other hand: if you see problems with that approach please
> > elaborate.
>
> I would second that a student who has been accepted to GSoC should be considered part of the team and grantwd push access, as long as there are regulations preventing them from accidentally pushing to master.
There is no prevention yet. There will be once I enable GitLab CI,
which is imminent. Basically nobody will be allowed to push to master,
the only way is through merge requests. This takes conscious action
that we can never protect against, but this holds for about anyone.

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Access to push new branch to origin

Dev mailing list
In reply to this post by Urs Liska-3
Am Samstag, den 23.05.2020, 16:38 +0200 schrieb Urs Liska:

> Am 23. Mai 2020 15:01:11 MESZ schrieb Werner LEMBERG <[hidden email]>:
> > > I can grant you access to the repository later today if needed.
> > > However I'd first like to understand (probably from Werner) what
> > > makes a branch in the upstream repository more "preserving" than a
> > > public clone.  Being distributed it really doesn't make much
> > > difference from the git perspective.
> >
> > IMO, code for a LilyPond GSoC project should become an integral part
> > of the master git repository.  I think it should be freezed in its
> > final form (this is, right after GSoC ends) for documentation
> > purposes.  If the stuff gets merged, the branch should still stay and
> > not be deleted.
> >
> > Note that this is my personal point of view, and I don't insist on it.
> > On the other hand: if you see problems with that approach please
> > elaborate.
>
> I would second that a student who has been accepted to GSoC should be considered part of the team and grantwd push access, as long as there are regulations preventing them from accidentally pushing to master.
Invited @WolfGangsta to the lilypond group.

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Access to push new branch to origin

Urs Liska-3
Am Montag, den 25.05.2020, 20:30 +0200 schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld:

> Am Samstag, den 23.05.2020, 16:38 +0200 schrieb Urs Liska:
> > Am 23. Mai 2020 15:01:11 MESZ schrieb Werner LEMBERG <[hidden email]>:
> > > > I can grant you access to the repository later today if needed.
> > > > However I'd first like to understand (probably from Werner)
> > > > what
> > > > makes a branch in the upstream repository more "preserving"
> > > > than a
> > > > public clone.  Being distributed it really doesn't make much
> > > > difference from the git perspective.
> > >
> > > IMO, code for a LilyPond GSoC project should become an integral
> > > part
> > > of the master git repository.  I think it should be freezed in
> > > its
> > > final form (this is, right after GSoC ends) for documentation
> > > purposes.  If the stuff gets merged, the branch should still stay
> > > and
> > > not be deleted.
> > >
> > > Note that this is my personal point of view, and I don't insist
> > > on it.
> > > On the other hand: if you see problems with that approach please
> > > elaborate.
> >
> > I would second that a student who has been accepted to GSoC should
> > be considered part of the team and grantwd push access, as long as
> > there are regulations preventing them from accidentally pushing to
> > master.
>
> Invited @WolfGangsta to the lilypond group.

While we're at it, I'd be happy to be part of the group too.

Urs


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Access to push new branch to origin

Dev mailing list
Am Montag, den 25.05.2020, 21:13 +0200 schrieb Urs Liska:
> While we're at it, I'd be happy to be part of the group too.

There are two "Urs Liska" on GitLab. Based on recent activity, I
guessed the right account is @urs.liska and added that one.

For those following along: Please just request access to the group. As
long as you have a proper display name set and I can relate it to one
of the existing accounts on Savannah or SF, I'll accept the request in
the transition perio. This also avoids me doing research which username
is the right one...

Jonas

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment