A (short) explanation of some internals

Francisco Vila
Hello,

I cannot find a simple explanation to this common behavior of time
signatures and key signatures in simultanepus staves.

   "Time signatures entered in one staff affect all other staves by
default. On the other hand, the key signature of one staff does not
affect other staves. This different default behavior is because scores
with transposing instruments are more common than polyrhythmic scores. "

I have searched a lot about contexts and engravers but I haven't found
what's the mechanism this relies on, or where is it coded in the sources.

--
Francisco Vila, Ph.D. - Badajoz (Spain)
paconet.org , lilypond.es

Re: A (short) explanation of some internals

Carl Sorensen-3

On 4/7/20, 11:41 AM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of Francisco Vila" <lilypond-devel-bounces+c_sorensen=[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Hello,

    I cannot find a simple explanation to this common behavior of time
    signatures and key signatures in simultanepus staves.

       "Time signatures entered in one staff affect all other staves by
    default. On the other hand, the key signature of one staff does not
    affect other staves. This different default behavior is because scores
    with transposing instruments are more common than polyrhythmic scores. "

    I have searched a lot about contexts and engravers but I haven't found
    what's the mechanism this relies on, or where is it coded in the sources.

It's because the Timing_translator is in the Score  context, IIUC.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/notation/special-rhythmic-concerns#time-administration

See also Polymetric notation under

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/notation/displaying-rhythms#unmetered-music

specifically Different time signatures with unequal-length measures.

Carl

El 7/4/20 a las 19:49, Carl Sorensen escribió:
> It's because the Timing_translator is in the Score  context, IIUC.
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/notation/special-rhythmic-concerns#time-administration
>
> See also Polymetric notation under
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/notation/displaying-rhythms#unmetered-music
>
> specifically Different time signatures with unequal-length measures.

Thank you, Carl! This clarifies a lot.

So we have 121 engravers, 14 performers and 1 (one) translator.
According to the description, Timing_translator is an engraver despite
the name.

--
Francisco Vila, Ph.D. - Badajoz (Spain)
paconet.org , lilypond.es

Re: A (short) explanation of some internals

David Kastrup
Francisco Vila <[hidden email]> writes:

> El 7/4/20 a las 19:49, Carl Sorensen escribió:
>> It's because the Timing_translator is in the Score  context, IIUC.
>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/notation/special-rhythmic-concerns#time-administration
>> See also Polymetric notation under
>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/notation/displaying-rhythms#unmetered-music
>> specifically Different time signatures with unequal-length measures.
>
> Thank you, Carl! This clarifies a lot.
>
> So we have 121 engravers, 14 performers and 1 (one)
> translator. According to the description, Timing_translator is an
> engraver despite the name.

No, it's also used in \midi .