A few questions

Jannik Jeppesen
Hi all.

I have a few questions.

1. Why does the following create a .pdf and a midi, but when I play the .midi file it just stops... it never plays anything?
2. I want it only to show the chord names, not the notes..... how can I do that?
3. How do I generate "\" signs inside the lines, so I can show when to play the Chord that way? An example: 4 strokes on the guitar: \ \ \ \
4. Another question: I want to create a ly file with only one D-chord played on the guitar. How is that possible?

\header
{
title = "Improvise"
composer = "Jannik Jeppesen"
}

chordline = \chordmode {
  \repeat volta 20 {
    a1:m c g e:m

  \chordline

  \layout {}
  \unfoldRepeats \chordline
  \midi { \tempo 4 = 120 }

Re: A few questions

Graham Percival-2

On 26-Dec-05, at 12:52 PM, Jannik Jeppesen wrote:

> I have a few questions.

Please allow a few days for responses.

>  1. Why does the following create a .pdf and a midi, but when I play
> the .midi file it just stops... it never plays anything?

Some versions of lilypond have bugs with midi generation.  What version
of lilypond are you using?

> 3. How do I generate "\" signs inside the lines, so I can show when to
> play the Chord that way? An example: 4 strokes on the guitar: \ \ \ \

I think it's \\.
c4^\markup{ \\ \\ \\ \\}

Re: A few questions

Jannik Jeppesen
<What version
of lilypond are you using?>

I am using version "2.6.3"

> I have a few questions.

Please allow a few days for responses.

> 1. Why does the following create a .pdf and a midi, but when I play
> the .midi file it just stops... it never plays anything?

Some versions of lilypond have bugs with midi generation.  What version
of lilypond are you using?

> 3. How do I generate "\" signs inside the lines, so I can show when to
> play the Chord that way? An example: 4 strokes on the guitar: \ \ \ \

I think it's \\.
c4^\markup{ \\ \\ \\ \\}

Re: A few questions

Vincent-35
>   1. Why does the following create a .pdf and a midi, but when I play
> the .midi file it just stops... it never plays anything?

perhaps version 2.6.3 has some bug in midi generation. If I remember it
was fixed in 2.6.4, but I'm not sure. in version 2.7.x, your example yelds
a correct midi file.

>   2. I want it only to show the chord names, not the notes..... how can
> I do that?

you have to use a ChordNames context in the \score section

>   3. How do I generate "\" signs inside the lines, so I can show when to
> play the Chord that way? An example: 4 strokes on the guitar: \ \ \ \

by "inside the lines" you mean inside the staff? if I get you right, you
have to set the noteheads to slashes. these are "/" signs, not "\". For
the last one I guess you should use markups with "\\".

Is this what you want?:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\header
{
title = "Improvise"
composer = "Jannik Jeppesen"
}

chordline = \chordmode {
   \repeat volta 20 {
     a1:m c g e:m

rythmline = \relative c''
{
   \override NoteHead #'style = #'slash
   \override Stem #'transparent = ##t % or not
   \repeat volta 20 {
     b4 b b b
     b b b b
     b b b b
     b b b b

     \context ChordNames {
       \chordline
     }
     \context Staff {
       \rythmline
     }

   \layout {}

   \unfoldRepeats \chordline
   \midi { \tempo 4 = 120 }
}

%%%%%%%%%% EOF %%%%%%%%%%%%

Re: A few questions

Jannik Jeppesen
Hi VSD thanx for your answer. The file you have created is perfect. But it
seems that I have some midi problems... It opens in media player, but it
does not play anything.
I am using version "2.6.4-5" on windows.... any Ideas?

Hi Josiah... I am sorry about my title of this question. I usually give my
questions good titles..... dont know what happened this time:-) Sorry.

 %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

> \header
> {
> title = "Improvise"
> composer = "Jannik Jeppesen"
> }
>
> chordline = \chordmode {
>   \repeat volta 20 {
>     a1:m c g e:m
>   }
> }
>
> rythmline = \relative c''
> {
>   \override NoteHead #'style = #'slash
>   \override Stem #'transparent = ##t % or not
>   \repeat volta 20 {
>     b4 b b b
>     b b b b
>     b b b b
>     b b b b
>   }
> }
>
> \score {
>   <<
>     \context ChordNames {
>       \chordline
>     }
>     \context Staff {
>       \rythmline
>     }
>   >>
>   \layout {}
> }
>
> \score {
>   \unfoldRepeats \chordline
>   \midi { \tempo 4 = 120 }
> }
>
> %%%%%%%%%% EOF %%%%%%%%%%%%

Re: A few questions

Vincent-35
> Hi, it now looks as this:
[...]
> I want it to look like this:

please read the manual :)

in this case, use line breaks: put \break after each e.g 4 bars

Re: A few questions

Jannik Jeppesen
Hi, thanks..... offcause... that helped:-)
believe me or not, but I am really reading the manual... But it really just
slips my mind everytime I need something new. I never can find what I am
looking for.

Is it possible to Make all the bars exact the same size? It does not look
good that the bars does not stand exactly above each other
Any Ideas (or just a link to the manual:-))

Jannik

Re: A few questions

D Josiah Boothby
On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, Jannik Jeppesen wrote:
> Is it possible to Make all the bars exact the same size? It does not look
> good that the bars does not stand exactly above each other
> Any Ideas (or just a link to the manual:-))

If you search through the mailing list archives, you will find extensive
discussion on this matter.

Josiah

Re: A few questions

Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence
Don't know if this will help but I ran into this same problem and
discovered that if I changed the .midi  to .mid everything played, don't
know why but it's consistent that I have to do this.
Jay

Jannik Jeppesen wrote:

> Hi VSD thanx for your answer. The file you have created is perfect.
> But it seems that I have some midi problems... It opens in media
> player, but it does not play anything.
> I am using version "2.6.4-5" on windows.... any Ideas?
>
> Hi Josiah... I am sorry about my title of this question. I usually
> give my questions good titles..... dont know what happened this
> time:-) Sorry.
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>

>> \header
>> {
>> title = "Improvise"
>> composer = "Jannik Jeppesen"
>> }
>>
>> chordline = \chordmode {
>>   \repeat volta 20 {
>>     a1:m c g e:m
>>   }
>> }
>>
>> rythmline = \relative c''
>> {
>>   \override NoteHead #'style = #'slash
>>   \override Stem #'transparent = ##t % or not
>>   \repeat volta 20 {
>>     b4 b b b
>>     b b b b
>>     b b b b
>>     b b b b
>>   }
>> }
>>
>> \score {
>>   <<
>>     \context ChordNames {
>>       \chordline
>>     }
>>     \context Staff {
>>       \rythmline
>>     }
>>   >>
>>   \layout {}
>> }
>>
>> \score {
>>   \unfoldRepeats \chordline
>>   \midi { \tempo 4 = 120 }
>> }
>>
>> %%%%%%%%%% EOF %%%%%%%%%%%%

Childhood is a Journey not a race- Emma Sadinsky aged 8
Jay Hamilton
Sound and Silence
206-328-7694
www.soundand.com

Re: A few questions

Jannik Jeppesen wrote:

> 3. How do I generate "\" signs inside the lines, so I can show when to
> play the Chord that way? An example: 4 strokes on the guitar: \ \ \ \

In addition to all answers you have already received: Maybe you want to take
a look also at Sect. "6.7.7 Measure repeats".