2.6.x and fonts with accents

Sterling MacNay
Hi all,

I just upgraded from 2.4.5 to 2.6.3 in Debian "testing" and converted my
few meager scores.  I noticed that (and expected) that the fonts would
be handled differently but am not sure of how to put simple accents and
such in titles and markup.  I want a ~ over an "n" in the title -
"Habenera".

I was using Hab\~nera but that no longer works.  Do I need to define
some sort of "pango" option in the score headers somewhere?

Thanks in advance,

Sterling MacNay

RE: 2.6.x and fonts with accents

Fairchild
Sterling -

Try copying and inserting this character: ñ

                   - Bruce

RE: 2.6.x and fonts with accents

Fairchild
Sterling -

What showed on my screen was an "n" with a "~" (tilde) over it.  It is OK in
the message I received back from the reflector, but somehow was changed in
transmission to you.

Annoyingly, the "\" escape character capability got lost somewhere before
v2.4.6.

The game now, as I understand it, is to insert the character you want.
Windows XP provides character maps.  For example, at Start -> Programs
->Accessories -> System Tools -> Character Map.  I found the n~ and copied
it.  This assumes the editor you use will accommodate.

                          - Bruce

Thanks for the reply but the character I see here is a "?".  Is that what
you wanted me to copy and insert?

Thanks,

Sterling

On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 12:58:29PM -0600, Fairchild wrote:

> Sterling -
>
> Try copying and inserting this character: ?
>
>                    - Bruce

Vincent-35
Try ALT+0241 in your text editor.

I think this also works in 2.6.x (I'm using 2.7.x):

title = \markup {"habe"#(ly:export (ly:wide-char->utf-8 #x00F1))"era"}

but you'll have to tweak a bit the spacing though.

btw, if you intend to write the title in spanish, "habe?era" doesn't
exist. the correct word in spanish is "habanera", if I'm getting you right
:)

greetings from spain,

Vicent.