2.6 autopackage on Debian sid!!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

2.6 autopackage on Debian sid!!

Paul Scott-3
I just found out about 2.6 autopackaged and have installed it on my
Debian sid system.  My first test worked great!

I found the various 2.6 executables.

1. I cannot find any menu entries (KDE) from the install.

2. I found the man and info pages.  Is there an HTML (lilypond-doc)
manual available to download?

TIA,

Paul Scott




_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2.6 autopackage on Debian sid!!

Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Paul Scott writes:

> I just found out about 2.6 autopackaged and have installed it on my
> Debian sid system.  My first test worked great!

That's great.

> 1. I cannot find any menu entries (KDE) from the install.

We're using installDesktop to install, which should add KDE menu items
too.  Someone will have to send a bugreport to autopackage
development.  Would you want to do that?

> 2. I found the man and info pages.  Is there an HTML (lilypond-doc)
>    manual available to download?

No.

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org


_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2.6 autopackage on Debian sid!!

Mats Bengtsson-6
>>2. I found the man and info pages.  Is there an HTML (lilypond-doc)
>>   manual available to download?
>
>
> No.

On the other hand, you can download the PDF version available at
www.lilypond.org or use wget to get a local copy of the HTML version.

    /Mats


_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2.6 autopackage on Debian sid!!

Paul Scott-3
In reply to this post by Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

>Paul Scott writes:
>
>>1. I cannot find any menu entries (KDE) from the install.
>>    
>>
>
>We're using installDesktop to install, which should add KDE menu items
>too.
>
After sending this I found that I could also easily install the MS
Windows version (on W98).  (I don't intend to actually use it there).  I
see that there is a LilyPond menu folder with 7 items.

I was just able to find a single menu item pointing to /usr/bin/lilypond
under "Multimedia/Jack and More."  Even if this pointed to
lilypond-2.6.0 what sense does it make to point to the executable
without providing a way to enter the necessary parameters?  The same
thing seems to be true of the MS Windows LilyPond menu entry except
there it starts a never ending task.

> Someone will have to send a bugreport to autopackage
>development.  Would you want to do that?
>  
>
I can do that either now or when we finish this discussion.  Since this
autopackage is completely new to me where and what is autopackage
development?

>  
>
>>2. I found the man and info pages.  Is there an HTML (lilypond-doc)
>>   manual available to download?
>>    
>>
>
>No.
>  
>
Will there be or should I just take Mats' suggestion?

Thanks,

Paul



_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2.6 autopackage on Debian sid!!

Paul Scott-3
In reply to this post by Mats Bengtsson-6
Mats Bengtsson wrote:

>>> 2. I found the man and info pages.  Is there an HTML (lilypond-doc)
>>>   manual available to download?
>>
>>
>>
>> No.
>
>
> On the other hand, you can download the PDF version available at
> www.lilypond.org or use wget to get a local copy of the HTML version.

I would rather have the HTML.  I am new to the powerful wget.  From what
I see in the rather large documentation I might want something like:

wget -r -k -p -w
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.6/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/index.html

Have I missed anything critical?

Thanks,

Paul



_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2.6 autopackage on Debian sid!!

Jan Nieuwenhuizen
In reply to this post by Paul Scott-3
Paul Scott writes:

> After sending this I found that I could also easily install the MS
> Windows version (on W98).  (I don't intend to actually use it there).
> I see that there is a LilyPond menu folder with 7 items.

Yes.

> I was just able to find a single menu item pointing to
> /usr/bin/lilypond under "Multimedia/Jack and More."

Was this created by the autopackage installer?

> Even if this pointed to lilypond-2.6.0 what sense does it make to
> point to the executable without providing a way to enter the
> necessary parameters?

Gui people (windows, macos, gnome, kde) will want to have a menu entry
after installation of a software.  Running it pops up an editor with a
welcome message.

> The same thing seems to be true of the MS Windows LilyPond menu entry
> except there it starts a never ending task.

Does lilypad not start, can you investigate?

> I can do that either now or when we finish this discussion.  Since
> this autopackage is completely new to me where and what is autopackage
> development?

That's autopackage.org.

> Will there be or should I just take Mats' suggestion?

There might be, but not real soon.

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org


_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2.6 autopackage on Debian sid!!

Paul Scott-3
Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

>>I was just able to find a single menu item pointing to
>>/usr/bin/lilypond under "Multimedia/Jack and More."
>>    
>>
>
>Was this created by the autopackage installer?
>  
>
Probably not.

>  
>
>>Even if this pointed to lilypond-2.6.0 what sense does it make to
>>point to the executable without providing a way to enter the
>>necessary parameters?
>>    
>>
>
>Gui people (windows, macos, gnome, kde) will want to have a menu entry
>after installation of a software.  Running it pops up an editor with a
>welcome message.
>
>  
>
>>The same thing seems to be true of the MS Windows LilyPond menu entry
>>except there it starts a never ending task.
>>    
>>
>
>Does lilypad not start, can you investigate?
>  
>
The Start menu item points to LilyPond.exe instead of LilyPad.exe.  So
does the shortcut which the install puts on the desktop.  I presume
these should point to LilyPad.exe.

Also the registry has correct (AFAICT) entries under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
for .ly and LilyPond.  These do point to LilyPad so double-click works
correctly.  Right-clicking shows Generate PDF as the default action.  
Right now I only get a .ps but I may have a problem with the Ghostscript
on that machine which I am running on.

A very small problem is that "Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/File Types"
doesn't show an entry for LilyPond which could imply that one of the
registry keys is not quite complete.

>>development?
>>    
>>
>
>That's autopackage.org.
>  
>
Ok.  I file these.

>  
>
>>Will there be or should I just take Mats' suggestion?
>>    
>>
>
>There might be, but not real soon.
>  
>
Ok.  Out of curiosity did something break?  Should the 2.6 doc packages
be as the same to produce as always?

Thanks,

Paul



_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2.6 autopackage on Debian sid!!

Paul Scott-3
Paul Scott wrote:

> Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
>
>>> I was just able to find a single menu item pointing to
>>> /usr/bin/lilypond under "Multimedia/Jack and More."
>>>  
>>
>>
>> Was this created by the autopackage installer?
>>  
>>
> Probably not.
>
>>  
>>
>>> Even if this pointed to lilypond-2.6.0 what sense does it make to
>>> point to the executable without providing a way to enter the
>>> necessary parameters?
>>>  
>>
>>
>> Gui people (windows, macos, gnome, kde) will want to have a menu entry
>> after installation of a software.  Running it pops up an editor with a
>> welcome message.
>>
>>  
>>
>>> The same thing seems to be true of the MS Windows LilyPond menu entry
>>> except there it starts a never ending task.
>>>  
>>
>>
>> Does lilypad not start, can you investigate?
>>  
>>
> The Start menu item points to LilyPond.exe instead of LilyPad.exe.  So
> does the shortcut which the install puts on the desktop.  I presume
> these should point to LilyPad.exe.
> Also the registry has correct (AFAICT) entries under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
> for .ly and LilyPond.  These do point to LilyPad so double-click works
> correctly.  Right-clicking shows Generate PDF as the default action.  
> Right now I only get a .ps but I may have a problem with the
> Ghostscript on that machine which I am running on.
>
> A very small problem is that "Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/File
> Types" doesn't show an entry for LilyPond which could imply that one
> of the registry keys is not quite complete.
>
>>> development?
>>>  
>>
>>
>> That's autopackage.org.
>>  
>>
> Ok.  I file these.

I thought you meant that the MS Windows native version was an
autopackage so I reported the wrong problem to them.  I  have now
reported the missing Debian KDE menu items to them.

Paul



_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user