2.6.3 midi2ly: bad midi module location

John Mandereau
When I tried to run 2.6.3 midi2ly on Fedora Core 4, I got:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/midi2ly", line 42, in ?
    import midi
ImportError: No module named midi

I fixed it:
I opened midi2ly.py and edited these lines:

libdir = '/usr/lib/lilypond/2.6.3'
if not os.path.isdir (libdir):
       libdir = '/usr/lib/lilypond/2.6.3'
sys.path.insert (0, os.path.join (libdir, 'python'))

I replaced 'lib' with 'share' and saved the file, then it worked!

This bug may also happen on other platforms (it happens with Windows
native version, but it won't work anyway, because there is no midi lib)
--
John Mandereau <[hidden email]>

Re: 2.6.3 midi2ly: bad midi module location

Graham Percival-2
Thanks for this info!  The problem (and solution) appears on
OSX 10.3.9 as well.

Developers, can we modify  scripts/midi2ly.py  accordingly?

- Graham

On 18-Aug-05, at 7:21 AM, John Mandereau wrote:

> When I tried to run 2.6.3 midi2ly on Fedora Core 4, I got:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/midi2ly", line 42, in ?
>     import midi
> ImportError: No module named midi
>
> I fixed it:
> I opened midi2ly.py and edited these lines:
>
> libdir = '/usr/lib/lilypond/2.6.3'
> if not os.path.isdir (libdir):
>        libdir = '/usr/lib/lilypond/2.6.3'
> sys.path.insert (0, os.path.join (libdir, 'python'))
>
> I replaced 'lib' with 'share' and saved the file, then it worked!
>
> This bug may also happen on other platforms (it happens with Windows
> native version, but it won't work anyway, because there is no midi lib)
> --
> John Mandereau <[hidden email]>

Re: 2.6.3 midi2ly: bad midi module location

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Graham Percival wrote:
> Thanks for this info!  The problem (and solution) appears on
> OSX 10.3.9 as well.
>
> Developers, can we modify  scripts/midi2ly.py  accordingly?
>
> - Graham

Actually, I'm not sure what the status of this issue is. Technically,
architecture independent stuff should go into  /usr/share and binary
libs in /usr/lib/ . Unfortunately, python puts everything in one
directory. Maybe we should install into both share/ and lib/

On 25-Aug-05, at 9:15 AM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Graham Percival wrote:
>> Thanks for this info!  The problem (and solution) appears on
>> OSX 10.3.9 as well.
>> Developers, can we modify  scripts/midi2ly.py  accordingly?
>> - Graham
>
> Actually, I'm not sure what the status of this issue is. Technically,
> architecture independent stuff should go into  /usr/share and binary
> libs in /usr/lib/ . Unfortunately, python puts everything in one
> directory. Maybe we should install into both share/ and lib/

Well, technically aren't the fonts architecture independent stuff, too?
  I don't
have any lily still in /usr/lib/  (I can tell because I'm using the
--prefix=$HOME/usr/pkg/lilypond/   trick; no *lib* in there.)

I think that the overall "where things get installed" design is
separate from
having a working midi2ly.  Why not change midi2ly.py to point to share/
for
now, and if we split things into /usr/share/ and /usr/lib/ later, change
midi2ly then.