2.20 plans.

12

2.20 plans.

I don't think there is much of a point in delaying more.  I've recently
made another run through patches that should be in 2.20 and pushed to
stable/2.20 branch.

I think further integration work is as likely to destabilize as to
stabilize stuff (if I not already did so), so the plan is to have
a) let Phil release 2.19.83 as soon as he wants
b) release 2.20.0 from that state (with a few cherry-picks on top) about
a week after the last urgent "stop the presses" call.  Those would
involve synching up documentation and bug fixes so obviously important
that one would rather see them in than give them some time for testing.

This will be followed (as soon as the state of download/web pages and
Phil's resources permit) with releasing 2.21.0 to get an unstable
version to refer to.

Re: 2.20 plans.

Karlin High
On 10/8/2018 10:35 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
> Those would
> involve synching up documentation

What areas of the documentation need work?
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA

Re: 2.20 plans.

David Kastrup
Karlin High <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 10/8/2018 10:35 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Those would
>> involve synching up documentation
>
> What areas of the documentation need work?

Sorry, I meant translation.  Whatever part of documentation needs work
will have to wait for 2.20.1 or we'll never get anywhere.

Re: 2.20 plans.

Dan Eble
On Oct 8, 2018, at 11:35, David Kastrup <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This will be followed (as soon as the state of download/web pages and
> Phil's resources permit) with releasing 2.21.0 to get an unstable
> version to refer to.

Request: Distribute 2.21 for macOS as a 64-bit application.  macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) flags LilyPond 2.19 as “Legacy Software” and it is said that macOS 10.15 will not support 32-bit applications.

https://arstechnica.com/features/2018/09/macos-10-14-mojave-the-ars-technica-review/11/

Dan

Re: 2.20 plans.

David Kastrup
Dan Eble <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Oct 8, 2018, at 11:35, David Kastrup <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This will be followed (as soon as the state of download/web pages and
>> Phil's resources permit) with releasing 2.21.0 to get an unstable
>> version to refer to.
>
> Request: Distribute 2.21 for macOS as a 64-bit application.  macOS
> 10.14 (“Mojave”) flags LilyPond 2.19 as “Legacy Software” and it is
> said that macOS 10.15 will not support 32-bit applications.

Not for 2.21.0 (which will be rather close to what master is now), but
messing with GUB afterwards should be on the table.

Re: 2.20 plans.

Federico Bruni-2

Il giorno lun 8 ott 2018 alle 17:52, David Kastrup <[hidden email]> ha
scritto:

> Karlin High <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>>  On 10/8/2018 10:35 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
>>>  Those would
>>>  involve synching up documentation
>>
>>  What areas of the documentation need work?
>
> Sorry, I meant translation.  Whatever part of documentation needs work
> will have to wait for 2.20.1 or we'll never get anywhere.

David, will you write to the translations list also?

Re: 2.20 plans.

Phil Holmes
> I don't think there is much of a point in delaying more.  I've recently
> made another run through patches that should be in 2.20 and pushed to
> stable/2.20 branch.
>
> I think further integration work is as likely to destabilize as to
> stabilize stuff (if I not already did so), so the plan is to have
> a) let Phil release 2.19.83 as soon as he wants
> b) release 2.20.0 from that state (with a few cherry-picks on top) about
> a week after the last urgent "stop the presses" call.  Those would
> involve synching up documentation and bug fixes so obviously important
> that one would rather see them in than give them some time for testing.
>
> This will be followed (as soon as the state of download/web pages and
> Phil's resources permit) with releasing 2.21.0 to get an unstable
> version to refer to.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

I'm getting a bizarre problem with 2.20.  I did my updates to VERSION, news,
etc. and ran a make to check all was OK.  It failed being unable to find
Documentation/pt/.  If I ls in a terminal, the directory is not shown.  If I
look with Nautilus it's there.  I know it's been deleted in master, but not
in stable/2.20 and I really can't see why it should be there in the file
viewer but not via terminal.

Anyone any idea??

--
Phil Holmes

Re: 2.20 plans.

David Kastrup
"Phil Holmes" <[hidden email]> writes:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I don't think there is much of a point in delaying more.  I've recently
>> made another run through patches that should be in 2.20 and pushed to
>> stable/2.20 branch.
>>
>> I think further integration work is as likely to destabilize as to
>> stabilize stuff (if I not already did so), so the plan is to have
>> a) let Phil release 2.19.83 as soon as he wants
>> b) release 2.20.0 from that state (with a few cherry-picks on top) about
>> a week after the last urgent "stop the presses" call.  Those would
>> involve synching up documentation and bug fixes so obviously important
>> that one would rather see them in than give them some time for testing.
>>
>> This will be followed (as soon as the state of download/web pages and
>> Phil's resources permit) with releasing 2.21.0 to get an unstable
>> version to refer to.
>
> I'm getting a bizarre problem with 2.20.  I did my updates to VERSION,
> news, etc. and ran a make to check all was OK.  It failed being unable
> to find Documentation/pt/.  If I ls in a terminal, the directory is
> not shown.  If I look with Nautilus it's there.

Nautilus may show files it knows that may be recovered from backup.

> I know it's been deleted in master,

Obviously I am not quite in the loop: why would we have done that?

> but not in stable/2.20 and I really can't see why it should be there
> in the file viewer but not via terminal.
>
> Anyone any idea??

I doubt we _have_ working Portuguese documentation for 2.20, so it is
likely that I cherrypicked too little or too much.

Re: 2.20 plans.

Thomas Morley-2
Am Fr., 12. Okt. 2018 um 16:13 Uhr schrieb Phil Holmes <[hidden email]>:

> [...]

I have no problems to see and to access it:

hermann@kasten ~/lilypond-git (master)$ git checkout remotes/origin/stable/2.20
Checking out files: 100% (886/886), done.
Note: checking out 'remotes/origin/stable/2.20'.

You are in 'detached HEAD' state. You can look around, make experimental
changes and commit them, and you can discard any commits you make in this
state without impacting any branches by performing another checkout.

If you want to create a new branch to retain commits you create, you may
do so (now or later) by using -b with the checkout command again. Example:

  git checkout -b <new-branch-name>

HEAD is now at ab3d2f7a26 Bump version
hermann@kasten ~/lilypond-git ((ab3d2f7a26...))$ cd Documentation/pt/
hermann@kasten ~/lilypond-git/Documentation/pt ((ab3d2f7a26...))$ ls
GNUmakefile  macros.itexi  search-box.ihtml  translations.itexi  web  web.texi

Sorry to be of not more help,
  Harm

Re: 2.20 plans.

Phil Holmes
> Am Fr., 12. Okt. 2018 um 16:13 Uhr schrieb Phil Holmes
> <[hidden email]>:

It was of help.  It made me look harder and I found that it was actually
reporting that build/Documentation/pt/ was missing.  Which it is.  The
Documentation/pt/ directory is definitely missing from master but is present
in stable/2.20.  I guess that someone has deleted references to it and so
it's not getting copied into the build tree?  How do we find out which
commit deleted the directory in git?

--
Phil Holmes

Re: 2.20 plans.

Jean-Julien Fleck
Hello,

> It was of help.  It made me look harder and I found that it was actually
> reporting that build/Documentation/pt/ was missing.  Which it is.  The
> Documentation/pt/ directory is definitely missing from master but is
> present
> in stable/2.20.  I guess that someone has deleted references to it and so
> it's not getting copied into the build tree?  How do we find out which
> commit deleted the directory in git?

I think that git bisect could help you if you know an old commit which have
for sure the given directory in it. See https://git-scm.com/docs/git-bisect

JJ Fleck
Physique et Informatique
PCSI1 Lycée Kléber

Re: 2.20 plans.

Thomas Morley-2
Am Fr., 12. Okt. 2018 um 17:07 Uhr schrieb Phil Holmes <[hidden email]>:

> [...]

For reference I've looked into the branch
stable/2.18

~/lilypond-git ((e7a7fe4faf...))$ cd Documentation/pt/
bash: cd: Documentation/pt/: No such file or directory

Searching via gitk is without result as well in both, stable/2.20 and master.

Was Documentation/pt/ ever in master?

Cheers,
  Harm

Re: 2.20 plans.

Thomas Morley-2
Am Fr., 12. Okt. 2018 um 17:27 Uhr schrieb Thomas Morley
<[hidden email]>:

> Am Fr., 12. Okt. 2018 um 17:07 Uhr schrieb Phil Holmes <[hidden email]>:

On stable/2.20
I navigated to ~/lilypond-git/Documentation/pt/web
and did:
git blame manuals.itexi
And found

$ git log -p cf364e9995fcf22c15b753f12bf8389d1e0b3e18
commit cf364e9995fcf22c15b753f12bf8389d1e0b3e18
Author: Rafael Fontenelle <[hidden email]>
Date:   Thu Aug 2 06:49:37 2018 -0300

    Docs-pt: Add Portuguese translation to website

diff --git a/Documentation/lilypond-texi2html-lang.init
b/Documentation/lilypond-texi2html-lang.init
index dc89070bc3..1e8a19bc78 100644
--- a/Documentation/lilypond-texi2html-lang.init
+++ b/Documentation/lilypond-texi2html-lang.init
@@ -4,7 +4,7 @@
 use utf8;

 my @langlist = (
-    'ca', 'cs', 'de', 'es', 'fr', 'hu', 'it', 'ja', 'nl', 'po', 'zh'
+    'ca', 'cs', 'de', 'es', 'fr', 'hu', 'it', 'ja', 'nl', 'po', 'pt', 'zh'
 );

<several more lines>

Looks like this was pushed to stable/2.20 but never to master

Cheers,
  Harm

Re: 2.20 plans.

Phil Holmes
> I navigated to ~/lilypond-git/Documentation/pt/web
> and did:
> git blame manuals.itexi
> And found
>
> $ git log -p cf364e9995fcf22c15b753f12bf8389d1e0b3e18
> commit cf364e9995fcf22c15b753f12bf8389d1e0b3e18
> Author: Rafael Fontenelle <[hidden email]>
> Date:   Thu Aug 2 06:49:37 2018 -0300
>
>    Docs-pt: Add Portuguese translation to website
>
> diff --git a/Documentation/lilypond-texi2html-lang.init
> b/Documentation/lilypond-texi2html-lang.init
> index dc89070bc3..1e8a19bc78 100644
> --- a/Documentation/lilypond-texi2html-lang.init
> +++ b/Documentation/lilypond-texi2html-lang.init
> @@ -4,7 +4,7 @@
> use utf8;
>
> my @langlist = (
> -    'ca', 'cs', 'de', 'es', 'fr', 'hu', 'it', 'ja', 'nl', 'po', 'zh'
> +    'ca', 'cs', 'de', 'es', 'fr', 'hu', 'it', 'ja', 'nl', 'po', 'pt',
> 'zh'
> );
>
> <several more lines>
>
> Looks like this was pushed to stable/2.20 but never to master

Probably best to stash the changed files somewhere, to then revert this and
to ask the contributor to submit a patch using the normal review process?
It looks to me like it may have only done a partial job of trying to add a
new translation.

--
Phil Holmes

Re: 2.20 plans.

Federico Bruni-2

Il giorno ven 12 ott 2018 alle 16:30, David Kastrup <[hidden email]> ha
scritto:

> "Phil Holmes" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>>>  Hi,
>>>
>>>  I don't think there is much of a point in delaying more.  I've
>>> recently
>>>  made another run through patches that should be in 2.20 and pushed
>>>  stable/2.20 branch.
>>>
>>>  I think further integration work is as likely to destabilize as to
>>>  stabilize stuff (if I not already did so), so the plan is to have
>>>  a) let Phil release 2.19.83 as soon as he wants
>>>  b) release 2.20.0 from that state (with a few cherry-picks on top)
>>> about
>>>  a week after the last urgent "stop the presses" call.  Those would
>>>  involve synching up documentation and bug fixes so obviously
>>> important
>>>  that one would rather see them in than give them some time for
>>> testing.
>>>
>>>  This will be followed (as soon as the state of download/web pages
>>> and
>>>  Phil's resources permit) with releasing 2.21.0 to get an unstable
>>>  version to refer to.
>>
>>  I'm getting a bizarre problem with 2.20.  I did my updates to
>> VERSION,
>>  news, etc. and ran a make to check all was OK.  It failed being
>> unable
>>  to find Documentation/pt/.  If I ls in a terminal, the directory is
>>  not shown.  If I look with Nautilus it's there.
>
> Nautilus may show files it knows that may be recovered from backup.
>
>>  I know it's been deleted in master,
>
> Obviously I am not quite in the loop: why would we have done that?

That's the question we should answer.
I don't see why it shouldn't be merged into master.

>>  but not in stable/2.20 and I really can't see why it should be there
>>  in the file viewer but not via terminal.
>>
>>  Anyone any idea??
>
> I doubt we _have_ working Portuguese documentation for 2.20, so it is
> likely that I cherrypicked too little or too much.

Rafael, brazilian translator, translated only the website.
It's working correctly and I can build and see it in the translation
branch.

Re: 2.20 plans.

David Kastrup
Federico Bruni <[hidden email]> writes:

> Il giorno ven 12 ott 2018 alle 16:30, David Kastrup <[hidden email]> ha
> scritto:
>>
>> I doubt we _have_ working Portuguese documentation for 2.20, so it is
>> likely that I cherrypicked too little or too much.
>>

> Rafael, brazilian translator, translated only the website.
> It's working correctly and I can build and see it in the translation
> branch.

Can you check the stable/2.20 branch?  I very recently did a large bunch
of cherry-picking from master, and it might be that I picked a bad
combination.  Stuff compiled at my side but I am not typically working
from clean directory trees.

Re: 2.20 plans.

Federico Bruni-2

Il giorno sab 13 ott 2018 alle 12:37, David Kastrup <[hidden email]> ha
scritto:

> Federico Bruni <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>>  Il giorno ven 12 ott 2018 alle 16:30, David Kastrup <[hidden email]> ha
>>  scritto:
>>>
>>>  I doubt we _have_ working Portuguese documentation for 2.20, so it
>>> is
>>>  likely that I cherrypicked too little or too much.
>>>

>>  Rafael, brazilian translator, translated only the website.
>>  It's working correctly and I can build and see it in the translation
>>  branch.
>
> Can you check the stable/2.20 branch?  I very recently did a large
> bunch
> of cherry-picking from master, and it might be that I picked a bad
> combination.  Stuff compiled at my side but I am not typically working
> from clean directory trees.

I've just made a clean build from scratch on stable/2.20 and it works.

Re: 2.20 plans.

Federico Bruni-2

Il giorno ven 12 ott 2018 alle 16:07, Phil Holmes <[hidden email]>
ha scritto:

> I'm getting a bizarre problem with 2.20.  I did my updates to
> VERSION, news, etc. and ran a make to check all was OK.  It failed
> being unable to find Documentation/pt/.  If I ls in a terminal, the
> directory is not shown.  If I look with Nautilus it's there.  I know
> it's been deleted in master, but not in stable/2.20 and I really
> can't see why it should be there in the file viewer but not via
> terminal.
>
> Anyone any idea??

If you are on stable/2.20 branch, ls Documentation/ must show pt/

Re: 2.20 plans.

Phil Holmes
> Il giorno ven 12 ott 2018 alle 16:07, Phil Holmes <[hidden email]> ha
> scritto:
>>
>> I'm getting a bizarre problem with 2.20.  I did my updates to VERSION,
>> news, etc. and ran a make to check all was OK.  It failed being unable to
>> find Documentation/pt/.  If I ls in a terminal, the directory is not
>> shown.  If I look with Nautilus it's there.  I know it's been deleted in
>> master, but not in stable/2.20 and I really can't see why it should be
>> there in the file viewer but not via terminal.
>>
>> Anyone any idea??
>>

> If you are on stable/2.20 branch, ls Documentation/ must show pt/

As I explained, I made a mistake - it is in Documentation, but is not copied
to build/Documentation and so fails make trying to find it there.

I still think the best plan is to lose it from stable 2.20 and do a patch to
put it into staging.  As it stands, without being in staging or master, it
will be lost for 2.21.

--
Phil Holmes

Re: 2.20 plans.

Federico Bruni-2
   Il 13 ott 2018 18:36, Phil Holmes <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

     > If you are on stable/2.20 branch, ls Documentation/ must show pt/
     As I explained, I made a mistake - it is in Documentation, but is
     not copied
     to build/Documentation and so fails make trying to find it there.

   Ok, then there may be something wrong with the makefiles within
   Documentazione/pt.
   I'll take a look tomorrow

     I still think the best plan is to lose it from stable 2.20 and do a
     patch to
     put it into staging.  As it stands, without being in staging or
     master, it
     will be lost for 2.21.

   Ok. As only the website is translated, it doesn't matter
12