2.13.3 docs emacs mode documentation AU 2.2.1 out of date?

12

2.13.3 docs emacs mode documentation AU 2.2.1 out of date?

Paul Scott-3
Hi,

I'm resurrecting a laptop whose hard drive died.  I'm trying to set up
Emacs lilypond-mode.

AU 2.2.1 tells me to do a 'make install' in the elisp directory.  I
don't see a makefile and 'make install' doesn't find an install target
rule.  Am I missing something or are the docs behind?

Thanks,

Paul Scott

Re: 2.13.3 docs emacs mode documentation AU 2.2.1 out of date?

James Bailey-4

On 23.07.2009, at 04:20, Paul Scott wrote:

Hi,

I'm resurrecting a laptop whose hard drive died.  I'm trying to set up Emacs lilypond-mode.

AU 2.2.1 tells me to do a 'make install' in the elisp directory.  I don't see a makefile and 'make install' doesn't find an install target rule.  Am I missing something or are the docs behind?

Thanks,

Paul Scott

That only applies if lilypond-mode isn't installed on your platform (first paragraph, last sentence). Usually you can just move the files to where they need to go and ammend your ~/.emacs appropriately

James E. Bailey

James E. Bailey wrote:

> On 23.07.2009, at 04:20, Paul Scott wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm resurrecting a laptop whose hard drive died.  I'm trying to set
>> up Emacs lilypond-mode.
>>
>> AU 2.2.1 tells me to do a 'make install' in the elisp directory.  I
>> don't see a makefile and 'make install' doesn't find an install
>> target rule.  Am I missing something or are the docs behind?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Paul Scott
>

> That only applies if lilypond-mode isn't installed on your platform
> (first paragraph, last sentence).

I believe that lilypond isn't installed.  This is a fresh install of
everything since the hard drive died.

Even so why would the makefile be gone if I had done the lilypond-mode
install.

> Usually you can just move the files to where they need to go and ammend your ~/.emacs appropriately

I do see where the lilypond-mode file is so I can probably install it
manually but I still wonder about the documentation.

Thanks,

Paul

> James E. Bailey

Re: 2.13.3 docs emacs mode documentation AU 2.2.1 out of date?

David Stocker
Paul,

Are you using Linux or Windows XP?

After you install LilyPond, you'll have all the files you need for
lilypond-mode to work right there in your installation directory. You'll
just need to tell Emacs where to locate them.

In your .emacs.d directory you'll need a file called "init.el" It may
already be present. If it's not, create it.

In that file, past the following lines:

(setq load-path (append (list (expand-file-name
"*//home/david/lilypond/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/*")) load-path))

(autoload 'LilyPond-mode "lilypond-mode" "LilyPond Editing Mode" t)
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.ly$" . LilyPond-mode))
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.ily$" . LilyPond-mode))
(add-hook 'LilyPond-mode-hook (lambda () (turn-on-font-lock)))

I've bolded and italicized the path to my lilypond-mode files. Change
them to in your init.el to point to the location of yours and you should
be all set.

Hope that helps,

David

Paul Scott wrote:

> James E. Bailey wrote:
>>
>> On 23.07.2009, at 04:20, Paul Scott wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm resurrecting a laptop whose hard drive died.  I'm trying to set
>>> up Emacs lilypond-mode.
>>>
>>> AU 2.2.1 tells me to do a 'make install' in the elisp directory.  I
>>> don't see a makefile and 'make install' doesn't find an install
>>> target rule.  Am I missing something or are the docs behind?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Paul Scott
>>

>> That only applies if lilypond-mode isn't installed on your platform
>> (first paragraph, last sentence).
>
> I believe that lilypond isn't installed.  This is a fresh install of
> everything since the hard drive died.
>
> Even so why would the makefile be gone if I had done the lilypond-mode
> install.
>
>> Usually you can just move the files to where they need to go and
>> ammend your ~/.emacs appropriately
>
> I do see where the lilypond-mode file is so I can probably install it
> manually but I still wonder about the documentation.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul
>

>> James E. Bailey

Re: 2.13.3 docs emacs mode documentation AU 2.2.1 out of date?

David Stocker
To clarify, replace everything between the " " with the exact syntax and
spelling of your site-lisp directory. I just realized that bold and
italic may show up on some people's system as * * and extra / /

David

David Stocker wrote:
> To clarify, replace everything between the " " with the exact syntax
> and spelling of your site-lisp directory. I just realized that bold
> and italic may show up on some people's system as * * and extra / /

Thanks!

I'll try this later today on my laptop.  (running Debian sid).

If you feel qualified to suggest an improvement for AU 2.2.1 please do.

Paul

On 23.07.2009, at 07:16, Paul Scott wrote:

James E. Bailey wrote:

On 23.07.2009, at 04:20, Paul Scott wrote:

Hi,

I'm resurrecting a laptop whose hard drive died.  I'm trying to set up Emacs lilypond-mode.

AU 2.2.1 tells me to do a 'make install' in the elisp directory.  I don't see a makefile and 'make install' doesn't find an install target rule.  Am I missing something or are the docs behind?

Thanks,

Paul Scott

That only applies if lilypond-mode isn't installed on your platform (first paragraph, last sentence).

I believe that lilypond isn't installed.  This is a fresh install of everything since the hard drive died.

This is a question you should be able to answer, is lilypond installed or not. If it is, and you've installed from a binary, i.e., not built it yourself, you should have everything you need. If you've installed from source, then depending on what you've installed, you may or may not need to build and install lilypond-mode.

Even so why would the makefile be gone if I had done the lilypond-mode install.

Because makefiles are often not provided when the files they create are.

Usually you can just move the files to where they need to go and ammend your ~/.emacs appropriately

I do see where the lilypond-mode file is so I can probably install it manually but I still wonder about the documentation.

Thanks,

Paul

The documentation is written from the point of view of a bare bones install. If you have the files the documentation refers to, then you're a couple of steps ahead.

James E. Bailey

James E. Bailey wrote:

> On 23.07.2009, at 07:16, Paul Scott wrote:
>
>> James E. Bailey wrote:

>>> That only applies if lilypond-mode isn't installed on your platform
>>> (first paragraph, last sentence).
>>
>> I believe that lilypond isn't installed.  This is a fresh install of
>> everything since the hard drive died.
>
> This is a question you should be able to answer, is lilypond installed
> or not.

That should have said lilypond-mode.
> If it is, and you've installed from a binary, i.e., not built it
> yourself, you should have everything you need. If you've installed
> from source, then depending on what you've installed, you may or may
> not need to build and install lilypond-mode.
>>
>> Even so why would the makefile be gone if I had done the
>> lilypond-mode install.
>
> Because makefiles are often not provided when the files they create are.

See below.

>>> Usually you can just move the files to where they need to go and
>>> ammend your ~/.emacs appropriately
>>
>> I do see where the lilypond-mode file is so I can probably install it
>> manually but I still wonder about the documentation.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Paul
>
> The documentation is written from the point of view of a bare bones
> install. If you have the files the documentation refers to, then
> you're a couple of steps ahead.

What do you believe was not bare bones about my install?  I did a
standard GUB install from the website.  It is the only version I have
installed.

Paul

David Stocker wrote:

> Paul,
>
> Are you using Linux or Windows XP?
>
> After you install LilyPond, you'll have all the files you need for
> lilypond-mode to work right there in your installation directory.
> You'll just need to tell Emacs where to locate them.
>
> In your .emacs.d directory you'll need a file called "init.el" It may
> already be present. If it's not, create it.
Did you mean .emacs?  .emacs.d (in my home directory) is owned by root.

Thanks,

Paul

Re: 2.13.3 docs emacs mode documentation AU 2.2.1 out of date?

David Stocker
Hi Paul,

I'm not familiar with Debian, (I'm using Ubuntu 8.04, 9.04 and Windows
XP) so if you have a directory called .emacs in your home directory
already, go ahead and try creating and modifying your init.el inside it
(instead of inside .emacs.d) and see where it gets you.

Let me know what the result is.

Regards,

David

Paul Scott wrote:

> David Stocker wrote:
>> Paul,
>>
>> Are you using Linux or Windows XP?
>>
>> After you install LilyPond, you'll have all the files you need for
>> lilypond-mode to work right there in your installation directory.
>> You'll just need to tell Emacs where to locate them.
>>
>> In your .emacs.d directory you'll need a file called "init.el" It may
>> already be present. If it's not, create it.
> Did you mean .emacs?  .emacs.d (in my home directory) is owned by root.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul

Re: 2.13.3 docs emacs mode documentation AU 2.2.1 out of date?

Tim McNamara

On Jul 24, 2009, at 1:51 AM, Paul Scott wrote:

> David Stocker wrote:
>> Paul,
>>
>> Are you using Linux or Windows XP?
>>
>> After you install LilyPond, you'll have all the files you need for
>> lilypond-mode to work right there in your installation directory.
>> You'll just need to tell Emacs where to locate them.
>>
>> In your .emacs.d directory you'll need a file called "init.el" It
>> may already be present. If it's not, create it.

> Did you mean .emacs?  .emacs.d (in my home directory) is owned by
> root.

.emacs.d is a directory, .emacs is a file.  For some reason your
permissions are not correct:  .emacs.d should be owned by you, not
root.  init.el should be inside .emacs.d for lilypond-mode to
function correctly (it is possible, depending on your permissions,
that lilypond-mode will not work even if init.el is there, if the
permissions are incorrect).

Tim McNamara wrote:

> On Jul 24, 2009, at 1:51 AM, Paul Scott wrote:
>
>> David Stocker wrote:
>>> Paul,
>>>
>>> Are you using Linux or Windows XP?
>>>
>>> After you install LilyPond, you'll have all the files you need for
>>> lilypond-mode to work right there in your installation directory.
>>> You'll just need to tell Emacs where to locate them.
>>>
>>> In your .emacs.d directory you'll need a file called "init.el" It
>>> may already be present. If it's not, create it.
>
>> Did you mean .emacs?  .emacs.d (in my home directory) is owned by root.
>
> .emacs.d is a directory, .emacs is a file.

Yes.

> For some reason your permissions are not correct:  .emacs.d should be
> owned by you, not root.

That's what I would have thought.

This is the way it is on both my Debian sid systems.  On both these
systems .emacs.d contains the directory auto-save-list both of which are
owned by root.

On this, my home system, I just removed .emacs.d and reinstalled emacs.
Now there is no .emacs.d.  I don't understand how .emacs.d would have
been owned by root on two different systems since I would never do it
that way.

I will work on this and get back to the list.

I am still concerned why AU 2.2.1 doesn't seem to make sense.

Thanks,

Paul

Re: 2.13.3 docs emacs mode documentation AU 2.2.1 out of date?

David Stocker
You can always

sudo chown -hR username .emacs.d

In any case, creating the directory .emacs.d and making a new init.el
inside it shouldn't foul anything up. Then you could proceed with making
your init.el point to lilypond-mode when you want to use it. Also, if
you open up Emacs and start working with files, it might automatically
make you a new auto-save-list (and a new .emacs.d for that matter).

Regards,

David

On Jul 24, 2009, at 11:47 AM, Paul Scott wrote:

> I am still concerned why AU 2.2.1 doesn't seem to make sense.

Sorry to be pig-ignorant here, but what the frak is AU 2.2.1?
Obviously it's some kind of abbreviation for documentation, but
unfortunately I've not seen the whole name spelled out and it doesn't
match any documentation I have from my LilyPond install.  In this
community we have an unfortunate tendency to shorthand things,
forgetting that some readers won't be able to figure out what we're
talking about.

David Stocker wrote:

> After you install LilyPond, you'll have all the files you need for
> lilypond-mode to work right there in your installation directory.
> You'll just need to tell Emacs where to locate them.
>
> In your .emacs.d directory you'll need a file called "init.el" It may
> already be present. If it's not, create it.
>
> In that file, past the following lines:
>
> (setq load-path (append (list (expand-file-name
> "*//home/david/lilypond/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/*")) load-path))
>
> (autoload 'LilyPond-mode "lilypond-mode" "LilyPond Editing Mode" t)
> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.ly$" . LilyPond-mode))
> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.ily$" . LilyPond-mode))
> (add-hook 'LilyPond-mode-hook (lambda () (turn-on-font-lock)))
>
> I've bolded and italicized the path to my lilypond-mode files. Change
> them to in your init.el to point to the location of yours and you
> should be all set.

Doing that to the best of my ability I get:

File mode specification error: (file-error "Cannot open load file"
"lilypond-mode")

This is how I interpreted your instructions:

(setq load-path (append (list (expand-file-name
"/usr/local/lilypond/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/*" )) load-path))
(autoload 'LilyPond-mode "lilypond-mode" "LilyPond Editing Mode" t)
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.ly$" . LilyPond-mode))
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.ily$" . LilyPond-mode))
(add-hook 'LilyPond-mode-hook (lambda () (turn-on-font-lock)))

Even though I have done some scheme I don't know enough to diagnose this.

Thanks for any help,

Paul

Paul Scott wrote:

> Doing that to the best of my ability I get:
>
> File mode specification error: (file-error "Cannot open load file"
> "lilypond-mode")
>
> This is how I interpreted your instructions:
>
> (setq load-path (append (list (expand-file-name
> "/usr/local/lilypond/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/*" )) load-path))
> (autoload 'LilyPond-mode "lilypond-mode" "LilyPond Editing Mode" t)
> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.ly$" . LilyPond-mode))
> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.ily$" . LilyPond-mode))
> (add-hook 'LilyPond-mode-hook (lambda () (turn-on-font-lock)))
I think you need to delete the * near the beginning after
.../emacs/site-lisp/*" ))

It should be .../emacs/site-lisp/" ))

Tim McNamara wrote:

> On Jul 24, 2009, at 11:47 AM, Paul Scott wrote:
>
>> I am still concerned why AU 2.2.1 doesn't seem to make sense.
>
> Sorry to be pig-ignorant here, but what the frak is AU 2.2.1?
> Obviously it's some kind of abbreviation for documentation, but
> unfortunately I've not seen the whole name spelled out and it doesn't
> match any documentation I have from my LilyPond install.  In this
> community we have an unfortunate tendency to shorthand things,
> forgetting that some readers won't be able to figure out what we're
> talking about.

Fair enough!  This has been argued about before at least on the
developer's list.

AU = Application Usage.  (how to install and run the program)
Main documenation page right column.

Paul

Re: 2.13.3 docs emacs mode documentation AU 2.2.1 out of date?

Jonathan Kulp-2
Tim McNamara wrote:

> On Jul 24, 2009, at 11:47 AM, Paul Scott wrote:
>
>> I am still concerned why AU 2.2.1 doesn't seem to make sense.
>
> Sorry to be pig-ignorant here, but what the frak is AU 2.2.1?  Obviously
> it's some kind of abbreviation for documentation, but unfortunately I've
> not seen the whole name spelled out and it doesn't match any
> documentation I have from my LilyPond install.  In this community we
> have an unfortunate tendency to shorthand things, forgetting that some
> readers won't be able to figure out what we're talking about.

Indeed, this one doesn't match.  It's "Application Usage," which
in a fresh build is named lilypond-program.pdf.

Sorry for the confusion. :)

Jon
--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com

Having been erased,
The document you're seeking
Must now be retyped.

--a Haiku error message from GNU

David Stocker wrote:

> Paul Scott wrote:
>>
>> Doing that to the best of my ability I get:
>>
>> File mode specification error: (file-error "Cannot open load file"
>> "lilypond-mode")
>>
>> This is how I interpreted your instructions:
>>
>> (setq load-path (append (list (expand-file-name
>> "/usr/local/lilypond/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/*" )) load-path))
>> (autoload 'LilyPond-mode "lilypond-mode" "LilyPond Editing Mode" t)
>> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.ly$" . LilyPond-mode))
>> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.ily$" . LilyPond-mode))
>> (add-hook 'LilyPond-mode-hook (lambda () (turn-on-font-lock)))
> I think you need to delete the * near the beginning after
> .../emacs/site-lisp/*" ))
>
> It should be .../emacs/site-lisp/" ))

That was it!!

Thanks,

Paul

Re: 2.13.3 docs emacs mode documentation AU 2.2.1 out of date?

David Stocker
Glad this worked for you. I just went through this to set up
lilypond-mode on a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.04. It was still fresh in
my mind.

Best regards,

David

Paul Scott wrote:

> David Stocker wrote:
>>

>> Paul Scott wrote:
>>>
>>> Doing that to the best of my ability I get:
>>>
>>> File mode specification error: (file-error "Cannot open load file"
>>> "lilypond-mode")
>>>
>>> This is how I interpreted your instructions:
>>>
>>> (setq load-path (append (list (expand-file-name
>>> "/usr/local/lilypond/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/*" )) load-path))
>>> (autoload 'LilyPond-mode "lilypond-mode" "LilyPond Editing Mode" t)
>>> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.ly$" . LilyPond-mode))
>>> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.ily$" . LilyPond-mode))
>>> (add-hook 'LilyPond-mode-hook (lambda () (turn-on-font-lock)))
>> I think you need to delete the * near the beginning after
>> .../emacs/site-lisp/*" ))
>>
>> It should be .../emacs/site-lisp/" ))
>
> That was it!!
> Thanks,